why?

Kim H.
on 4/7/11 4:05 am - Duluth, MN
I just had my first experience since surgery eating a restaurant. I ordered from the kids' menu, and I ate my 1/2 cup portion. Asked for a to go container and put the rest in it before I even started eating. Had no beverage. It was chicken tenders and applesauce. I took the breading off and only ate ONE of the tenders(was about 1 oz of meat by the time I picked all the breading off). Ate about 1/4 cup of the applesauce. Was satisfied at the time, but now, only an hour later, I am hungry . REAL STOMACH hunger. Is this "normal" (I know, my counselor said "the only thing that is normal is the setting on the clothes dryer" )...but, seriously...has anyone else had this experience? (I only started on the maintenance diet at the beginning of this week)

~Kim~

khrystibug
on 4/7/11 4:26 am - CA
Thae apple sause can slide through pretty rapidly. Plus your meal wasn't super protein packed if all you had in the way of protein was 1 oz of chicken. Carbs burn off fast but shouldn't be as fast as an hour. Maybe you think it's not head hunger, and I'm sure not all of it is, but most of it probably. Try to pick resturants that have protein dense options next time

Japanese (sashimi is great -- avoid the rolls, cause the rice is always a bad choice, but if sharing with someone else, just pick the rice out)

Mexican (Fajita stuffing, minus the tortilla -- Ceviche is wonderful -- fish tacos, minus the tortilla but ONLY if the fish is grilled not battered. Always avoid the battered and deep fried stuff!)

Sea Food (anything not battered and deep fried is perfect)

Steak House (if you can tolerate steak. If not there is usually a fish option. Shrimp is almost always an option, but avoid the butter scampi type stuff or again the battered and deep fried options due to higher fat and calories)

Any Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner type of resturant usually has cottage cheese on their breakfast menu so you can always ask even if it's not a lunch or dinner option (it's still in the kitchen) and they're generally happy to accomodate you.

Don't be afraid to tell your server that you have had WLS -- they tend to try harder to accomodate you if they know it's for a medical reason!

Good luck on future outings. For now, maybe have a protein shake -- if it is true stomach hunger that will solve the problem!

thebandedlife.bolgspot.com

Tom C.
on 4/7/11 4:44 am, edited 4/7/11 5:30 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Kim,

Before I reply I need to preface it by saying I don’t know your medical history, and I know I’m not a Doctor.

With that said, it is MY OPINION you are not eating enough. IMHO 1 ounce of meat is NOT ENOUGH. Rule of thumb - 1 ounce of meat (fish/poultry/beef) has about 7 grams of Protein in it. If one is suppose to get 60 grams of protein in a day (or whatever number you were given), then how can they survive and hit those numbers taking in 7 grams per meal? It boggles my mind.

Yes, I know Protein supplements are supposed to make up for the missing/needed protein – but still I think 1 ounce it too low. Even in the beginning stage.

Also, remember DENSE PROTEIN will keep you fuller/longer compared to PROCESS protein. Example, 4 ounces of actually chicken will keep you fuller/longer compared to 4 ounces of chicken nuggets. So the chicken tender, while may “weigh" one ounce, in density it could be more like 1/4 ounce.

As always, I would never suggest do something that goes against your Doctor’s (or Nutritionist’s) advice. But I will admit I am concerened.

Maybe others have different opinions and/or suggestions

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Stephanie M.
on 4/7/11 6:28 am
You didn't eat enough dense protein (chicken without the breading).  About 3 oz + the applesauce would have been just about right.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Kim H.
on 4/7/11 6:48 am - Duluth, MN
Thank you to everyone for their concern/suggestions! WOW! It is amazing to me, how "perfect strangers" can show this much love and concern for fellow-banders. I will call my nutritionist after I finish posting this and see what she says. I agree, the applesauce was not a good choice. I will try harder next time. Again, thank you all for your concern. Maybe I just misunderstood my nutritionist, but I could SWEAR she said my 1/2 cup of food was to contain 1 oz of meat(protein). I will let you know what I find out! Love you all!!!

~Kim~

Kim H.
on 4/7/11 8:04 am - Duluth, MN
OK my nutritionist just called me back and she said, being there was so little chicken in the chicken strips I COULD HAVE eaten them both. And I could have asked for fresh fruit instead of the applesauce. She did say 60 grams of protein is the goal for the day and an ounce (the "size of your pointer finger"). I could have also left the breading on since it was not "skin"... I will make better choices next time. Thanks everybody!

~Kim~

Tom C.
on 4/7/11 12:08 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Glad to see you got some clarification. So now be concerned about getting those 60 grams in.

Again, try to make it "dense" foods (example: chicken over chicken strips; meat over stea****; apples over applesauce, etc).

It's learn as you go :D
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 4/7/11 10:56 pm - Duluth, MN
Will I still be "learning as I go" forever? haha I feel like I call my nutritionist every other day. I hope soon it will become second nature. Thanks again to everyone for your concern and suggestions!

~Kim~

Most Active