5 months out

trippsmommy
on 4/26/11 10:54 am - Troy, MO
I was banded on the 27th of December I lost 41 pounds so far I lost 33 in the first 2 months. I have about 6 cc in my band now. Last fill was on the 10th of March. Since then I have been sluggish, tired, cold, and just not there, I have not been eating very much lately. I have a list of my labs to do before the 19th of May. the NP that I work with thinks it is a virus I do work in a FP Clinic (go figure). I think it is more than that but I just can't put my finger on it. I have been getting stuck more often than not even though I chew like hell on everything but I want to graze so I chew on gum to keep me from grazing and I have not lost a pound since my fill. Any advice please help I am about to throw the scales and everything out the window.

When I grow up I wanna be Skinny!!!

Tom C.
on 4/26/11 9:30 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Trippsmommy,

CONGRATS on your SUCCESS!! You’re doing EXCELLENT. BE PROUD !!

Have you contacted your Bariatric Doctor? This is the advice I give everyone. I rather hear “that’s quite normal" then to hear “why didn’t you contact me when you first experienced this". And no slight to anyone in the medical field, but unless one has experience in Bariatrics, they aren’t that knowledgeable about what is or isn’t normal.

Now, this arm-chair non-physician thinks:

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR BEFORE INCREASING /CHANGE YOUR INTAKE

(A) you’re not eating enough hence the reason you’re sluggish, cold & tired. You need to get those protein requirements in. And you need to eat in order to lose weight. If you don’t, your body goes into “starvation" mode and will store as much as it can

(B) The stuck issue could be because you (1) dehydrated – are you getting the recommended about of fluids in? You may want to try drinking something warm before you eat, in order to relax and open the esophagus better. If your Doctor/Nutritionists has rules about drinking before eating – adhere to them. However drinking something warm 30 minutes before can still help  (2) The “size" of the food is too big. Always ask yourself, would I give this size to a baby (3) the food may be too dry or fibrous. If too dry, dip in something “moist" (gravy; broth; non-fat condiments).

(C) Grazing goes back to not eating enough in your meals. Remember PROTEIN is going to keep you full, longer. So if you can’t eat it, drink it. GET THOSE PROTEINS IN!!

(D) Stalls are natural part of weight loss. It seems the body “catches on" to what we have been doing, and holds onto everything. After a while, the lost restarts and things go well.

However, stalls can also because by eating (a) too much (b) not enough. I know it sounds a little contradictory, and I will try to explain.

Too much: While we need to make sure we hit our protein requirements (60-80 grams, or whatever your Doctor told you), we need to make sure the carbs, calories, etc are “acceptable". Remember, you don’t want to make your 80 grams of protein by eating 4 gallons of ice cream or a starchy carb.

Not enough: Again, make sure you are meeting your daily protein requirements. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO WEIGHT LOSS. The body is a marvelous machine, and it will protect itself. If one doesn’t eat enough, the body’s metabolism will slow down - in order to keep itself functioning. If a person intake is less then what it expels, the body will start to “store" food.

I hope this novel was helpful.

ADVICE WARNING: TALK TO THE DOCTOR BEFORE INCREASING /CHANGE YOUR INTAKE

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Amy B.
on 4/28/11 10:53 pm
 I agree with Tom. Call your doctor! Since you had your last fill recently, it may be that it is too tight. Good luck!
Most Active