Reflux

Denise R.
on 5/28/11 2:17 pm - Manchester, NH
I have developed reflux over the last month or so and I finally saw the doctor who took 2.5 cc out of my band leaving me with 5.5 cc. I had hoped this would resove the reflux but two days later it was still as bad. He explained the reflux caused inflamation and the inflamation causes reflux, which causes more inflamation. He has now put me on Carafate and were giving it the weekend with hopes it will calm down or he will take more fluid from my band. I am so afraid that this complication will cause him to remove my band and I don't want that to happen. I love my band and I am 17 pounds from my goal of 150. I have worked hard for the last 6-months.

Has anyone else had reflux and how did you resolve it?

Kim H.
on 5/28/11 6:17 pm - Duluth, MN
I have not experienced reflux (yet), but I am sure it is miserable. Good thought and prayers are coming your way. Keep us posted, please?

~Kim~

Hislady
on 5/29/11 10:44 am - Vancouver, WA
Usually an unfill for a few weeks resolves it but not always. There have been quite a few who have ended up losing their bands and revising to a different surgery. Unfortunately quite often once trouble starts it just gets worse. Hopefully you will get better with just a small unfill.
Vivian Prouty
on 5/29/11 11:05 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Denise....I am not a band patient but a OH Support Group Leader.   From my experience....most ( that I have had experience with ) ended up having to revise to another surgery.....like Hislady said below.    I will pray that won't happen.    I know that it is a scary time for you right now.   May I suggest eat only really soft things and things that are really bland.   Maybe that way it won't make the reflux worse.   Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.   Please keep us updated on what is going on with you.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Tom C.
on 5/31/11 12:33 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Denise R,

Give it some time to see what happens. If you still have pain in a week, go back to your Doctor to speak about options.

Know no matter what happens, we're here for you.

Praying this all passes within a few more days.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Denise R.
on 6/1/11 2:15 pm - Manchester, NH
Thank you everyone for your kind support. I saw Dr. Catania this morning and we decided that he should remove all the fluid from my band for just a few weeks. This would allow the inflamation to resolve and he will then start to return the fluid to my band. The doctor was able to remove 2 cc and that leaves 3.5 in the band that he could not remove. So my band is as open as it can be. I am so very fearful that he may have to remove my band but he assured me that he would not have to remove my band but it really worries me. I just have to hang in and work my band. I know the rules and I just have to keep following them and I pray I will be ok.

Most Active