stretched stoma

Tracy Ta Da
on 2/11/09 11:18 am - Hurst, TX
Your post caught my attention.  I was told by my original surgeon (RNY 2003) that have something called 'jujenium diverticulitis - my upper part of my lower intestine stretched into a stomach.  He failed to elaborate into what I will now cover.   I had a second opinion today, I have an EXTREMELY stretched out stoma, I was referred to a nutritionist.  Your post opened the reality to me that I cannot fix it. I starve all the time...mentally, physically, whatever, eventually I stress and bing...listen, I don't eat right but my appetite is beyond help.  I gained back about 50 lbs since about 2006. My profile has all my data if you are interested.

Anyway, my first surgeon wanted to do surgery on me again and disect my intestines and this new, reputable Dr. balked at that...he seemed disturbed....but he cannot do anything for me medically, and my first surgeon is obviously wanting to re-do my whole surgery....but work it so my insurance pay for it, it''s somewhat obvious to me.

What are your thoughts?  Do you know the cost of getting banded as RNY, have you met anyone who has? 

Your thoughts are valued and I am weary with research at this point.

Thanks!

Tracy Ta Da!!! 
scstewart
on 2/15/11 6:12 am
I am researching doctors to find one that is willing to band over stoma after Gastric Bypass.  So far I am having no luck.  Where is your doctor located?
antionettelewis525
on 6/13/18 10:30 am - Creedmoor, NC

hi i gained thirty back to.had ryn in 2002.doing a gi and endoscope soon

gypsyvicky
on 8/12/18 8:56 am
Revision on 01/02/17

Had band in bypass and ruined my stomach and eosophagus and bad reflux and breathing problems please don't habpve this x v

MainePugsRUs
on 8/12/09 1:40 am

In reading this thread of posts...it is upsetting to me.  I think there is a lot of misinformation floating around this thread.  The surgeon's (two) I have spoken to directly have told me that a lap band will NOT do anything to help the small pouch/large stoma (anastomosis) because they put the lap band around the pouch, not the anastomosis.  As far as I know, very few docs perfom the sclerotherapy.  Dr. Thompson in Boston being one of them who does.  He totally believes that this procedure works and works well while following some guidelines.  Most people need at about 3 injections to get the right restriction.  It would not be a good thing to do one big injection and find that you have overdone it.  This scarring can't be undone, probably without surgery.  The scarring is permanent so it will not stretch out again.  I am totally convinced that this is the best procedure out there for regain.  I was looking into the lap band after RNY but the surgeon that does it discouraged me and recommended I see Dr. Thompson.  I am scheduled to have the first injection on Oct. 13th.

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/09 10:01 am - AZ
On August 12, 2009 at 8:40 AM Pacific Time, MainePugsRUs wrote:

In reading this thread of posts...it is upsetting to me.  I think there is a lot of misinformation floating around this thread.  The surgeon's (two) I have spoken to directly have told me that a lap band will NOT do anything to help the small pouch/large stoma (anastomosis) because they put the lap band around the pouch, not the anastomosis.  As far as I know, very few docs perfom the sclerotherapy.  Dr. Thompson in Boston being one of them who does.  He totally believes that this procedure works and works well while following some guidelines.  Most people need at about 3 injections to get the right restriction.  It would not be a good thing to do one big injection and find that you have overdone it.  This scarring can't be undone, probably without surgery.  The scarring is permanent so it will not stretch out again.  I am totally convinced that this is the best procedure out there for regain.  I was looking into the lap band after RNY but the surgeon that does it discouraged me and recommended I see Dr. Thompson.  I am scheduled to have the first injection on Oct. 13th.

Not sure if you are aware but you brought to life a 3 year old thread.

I believe you are mistaken, or the surgeons are mistaken, or the surgeons don't like band after bypass but it most certainly is done for a dilated stoma.  The band is placed above the old stoma and the band itself creates a new stoma.

Many surgeons don't like the procedure because it provides very slow weight loss.

You are correct, not many docs perform sclerotherapy because most docs don't believe it is an effective procedure, just like MGB.  Any bypass surgeon can do it but most will not because it's not a good surgery.  Same thing applies to sclerotherapy.  But I do hope you are one of the few it works for.

Tracy Ta Da
on 3/14/14 6:27 am - Hurst, TX

Well talk about bringing up an old thread!! I posted on this one in 2009.  It's 2014 and in 12/2013 - I revised my surgery and had my intestines repairs.  You cannot EAT and DRINK at the same time and overeat! It ruins you!!! Took me this long to revise and I am losing again but it's hard, I have to eat right and I had to break those bad habits, fast.

Tracy Ta Da!

Thanks!

Tracy
Start 336
Surgery Dec 2003

Gained back up to 277.  Revision planned to resolve jejunum diverticulitis. Post revision completed 12/2013

Tracy Ta Da
on 3/14/14 6:30 am - Hurst, TX
On March 14, 2014 at 1:27 PM Pacific Time, Tracy Ta Da wrote:

Well talk about bringing up an old thread!! I posted on this one in 2009.  It's 2014 and in 12/2013 - I revised my surgery and had my intestines repairs.  You cannot EAT and DRINK at the same time and overeat! It ruins you!!! Took me this long to revise and I am losing again but it's hard, I have to eat right and I had to break those bad habits, fast.

Tracy Ta Da!

Ps. down from 277 to 236 since december. I am not angel but I am not a total devil either!

Thanks!

Tracy
Start 336
Surgery Dec 2003

Gained back up to 277.  Revision planned to resolve jejunum diverticulitis. Post revision completed 12/2013

April J.
on 8/12/09 12:34 pm - Bowie, MD
I too noticed that I no longer had any restriction and that I stayed hungry all the time. I had an endoscopy done three weeks ago and was told today by my Dr. that my stoma is 3cm which is over twice the size it should be. My Dr. said he will not do the band over bypass and suggested the stomaphax (sp) or revision of the RNY. He said nothing about changing my eating habits and it will shrink back...that wasn't an option!
Most Active
Recent Topics