sclero bill came in....

deeno
on 6/25/07 11:33 pm - Kokomo, IN

Hi all Many people were curious as to the cost of sclerotherapy.  I was quoted $700-800 dollars for my procedure, which I thought was a bit  low.  Of course, I didn't believe it, and figured I would wait and see what bills came in.  The gal I spoke with prior to my procedure was a nurse, not from billing (I thought she was from billing), and quoted me the correct price for the doc's portion of the bill.  She did not include the hospital fees, though.  I even asked her three times "Are you sure it will be between 700-800?  No hidden fees?"  So, it wasn't a big suprise (even though I was disappointed) that I recieved an additional bill for $960.00 from the hospital (the "hidden fee" I was expecting).  I don't have my bills infront of me, but my total worked out to be ~$1740.00 in the end. The hospital was nice, and said they'd take 20% off of the bill if I paid it in full, so that would save me close to $200.  The doc's office was also way cool, and suggested we submit to insurance anyhow to see what would happen.  I was told directly from my insurance that they would not pay, and even though I told the doc's office this, they said "let's try anyway".  I figured it was their dime and their time, so I said "go for it".  Well, my insurance seems to have paid some of the bill per my EOB!  So, I'm now going to call the hospital part and see if they will submit their portion, too, just to "see what happens". So, in a nutshell, I was misquoted a price (happens a lot, believe me); but I got some of it paid for by my insurance so far. 

Deeno

jlo232
on 6/26/07 3:39 am - midland, MI
Hi, Deeno, I have been reading that people are going for 3 treatments of sclerotherapy?  Is yours only one treatment?
deeno
on 6/27/07 10:50 pm - Kokomo, IN
Yes and no.  My sclerotherapy is the same as anyone elses.  I was told that I MAY need additional procedures if the initial one didn't take.  The doc explained that he puts a chemical on to shrink the stoma, and everyone reacts similarly, but with variation.  Some patients need this done only once.  Others MAY need to follow up and have more of the shrinking chemical put on.  Some people may even need to go back in and have their stoma restretched due to a stricture. Right now, I do not forsee needing another procedure in the near future as I am feeling restriction.  However, who knows about six months from now.  So, we'll just leave it as a "we'll see" for now. Deeno
sandyfeets
on 6/26/07 11:17 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with
Hi Deeno, I had my procedure done today. Everything is being submitted to insurance to see how much they are going to pick up. I am following your trail also. I think we should compare bills when this is all over with.

Blue38380
on 7/7/07 8:26 am - Glenolden Pa 19036, PA

Hello,

Just wondering what is sclerotherapy? I was denied by insurance for my wls. Do you have to have the surgery to have this done?

Thanks

E

Most Active
Recent Topics