Number of surgeries for Band to RNY

Melanie D.
on 2/3/12 11:09 am
How many that have revised to RNY from band were able to do just one surgery?? My Dr. said that you usually have to wait 3 to 6 months after the surgery to remove the band. He said the only way to do it all at once is if he gets in there and everything looks really really good.  

I was going to go with sleeve, but he thinks that I am not a good fit for sleeve because of all of the reflux issues I have had with the band and also my metabolism and hormonal issues.

Got insurance approval today, so just waiting to schedule!!!
TamaraL
on 2/4/12 5:04 am
i did band to RNY October 2010. I did in 1 surgery but the dr had told me that if I had stomach damage he would have to do 2 surgeries.

I had RNY because with the sleeve a lot of people end up with more heart burn and I already had such bad heart burn as it was with the band.  Once you have the sleeve theres no going back because they have cut off 1/2 stomach to make the sleeve. 

MAke sure you really educate yourself on the RNY and the vitamin committment.

Tamara

Melanie D.
on 2/4/12 5:44 am
Thank you Tamara! I have been studying and researching and talking to RNY patients in a local support group because I want to make sure I do my homework!!

Mel
TamaraL
on 2/4/12 5:58 am
if you have any questions you can PM me

Tamara

Barb H.
on 2/4/12 7:52 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
I did essentially the same as Tamara. I only personally know one other person who goes to my surgeon and revised and he was able to do both in one surgery. I'm 10 days out today and feeling sooooo much better! My friend is also doing very well. We both have RNY.

But these are our stories, so keep looking. I originally wanted the sleeve before I realized that the GERD would still be there with it. I do have concerns over not being able to take NSAIDS because I have arthritis but I also needed the malabsorption. I went off the arthritis med I was on pre-op and am actually doing really well without it. For not, at least.
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

Most Active
Recent Topics