Lap band over GBP?

Laura H.
on 3/15/12 1:20 pm, edited 3/15/12 1:20 pm - Fountain Valley, CA
RNY on 07/25/05 with
I am almost 7 years out and initially lost 170 pounds. Started gaining weight back around year 4. Gained 50 pounds between year 4 ad 5. I have since leveled off and have stayed the same weight for over a year give or take 5 pounds. So I went to a doctor to see about a revision and they did an upper GI and another test that they put a scope with a camera down into your stomach to see what is going on. I was very surprised by the findings. I was thinking I had stretched my pouch out because I can eat so much more but NO. Both tests showed my pouch was small and within normal range for a GBP stomach and my stoma is also within normal range. In fact, the doctor said it would be hard to do a revision of my GBP because he would not be able to make the pouch much smaller. Instead he wants to do the Lap Band over the GBP. Have to think about this though because he wants to charge me a $3500.00 program fee.  Has anyone else had lap band over GBP?  If so, what are the results?

Siciliangirl
Beg/Surgery day/Current/Goal
323/315/146/135

heathercross
on 3/16/12 12:23 am - New York, NY
 yes, I have and everyone else on my profile listed as a "friend" has as well incase you'd like to read there stories. Its called a BOB, Band over Bypass. Since its threated as a "new" surgery you can probbably get it approved, do you have a bariatric rider on your insurance?   ask bc based on your test results, nothing mechinally is wrong your RNY so you'd never get apprvoed for a revision?

On a side note, bc your pouch is still intact, have you thought about trying for about 6 mos to do a real diet and exercise and see if you can get back on track?

Heather

IleneRachel
on 3/16/12 3:26 am - Massapequa, NY
 I have not had a revision yet, but have been doing some research on it since I have regained a little over half the weight I lost (RNY 6/2004). Procedures like the Rose Procedure, where they endoscopically tighten the pouch and/or stoma using clamps, have only resulted in a maximum loss of around 30-lbs. No one knows why. The Band Over Bypass procedure tends to allow a much greater weight loss. Basically, they are doing the same surgery as if the bypass had never been done, so the fees would be pretty much the same as for an initial surgery. I have heard that, as long as the person follows the doctor's nutrition and exercise recommendations, it can be very successful. In other words, it works if we work it (and don't just start eating the wrong things or too large quantities and stop exercising at some point). Good luck!
TheresaG
on 3/16/12 5:13 am - Midland, MI
I am scheduled to have the BOB procedure done on 3/28 and am very excited.  I started eating product foods that my facility requires before any of their bariatric procedures on Wednesday and am very excited to see how I will feel after the procedure. 

One thing I have noticed in just the past days is that I know I was overeating ALOT, but I think I was dumping ALOT also causing me to be tired and want to sleep.  Therefore, I fell into a pattern of eating and feeling bad and sleeping for an hour then waking up being hungry, eating more, feeling bad and doing it all over again.  I have noticed by starting to get back on track and not eating sugary, high fat foods that I feel that I have ALOT more energy then I have in the past four years.

I also had Sceletherapy (sp?) similiar to the ROSE procedure done twice in the past five years and both times, I lost 20 lbs. to gain it back within a year.

Continue to do research and I wish you the best of luck. 
Laura H.
on 3/16/12 1:13 pm - Fountain Valley, CA
RNY on 07/25/05 with
Thanks to everyone that has responded.  I do exercise 2 to 3 times a week.  Go to the gym and do 40-45 min of cardio as well and strengh training.  I have never stopped working out.  I do over eat though and make poor food choices.  I really would like to get a revision, the only thing stopping me right now is the doctors $3500.00 program fee that their office charges.  The Dr. says my insurance will cover the surgery itself.  I would like to get back on the right track.  That is part of the reason I came back to the OH websitie. 

Siciliangirl
Beg/Surgery day/Current/Goal
323/315/146/135

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/12 10:47 am - Mexico
On March 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM Pacific Time, Laura H. wrote:
Thanks to everyone that has responded.  I do exercise 2 to 3 times a week.  Go to the gym and do 40-45 min of cardio as well and strengh training.  I have never stopped working out.  I do over eat though and make poor food choices.  I really would like to get a revision, the only thing stopping me right now is the doctors $3500.00 program fee that their office charges.  The Dr. says my insurance will cover the surgery itself.  I would like to get back on the right track.  That is part of the reason I came back to the OH websitie. 

There is NO WAY I would pay $3500 for a program fee. Not a chance.  My personal opinion is that it is a complete and total waste of money.  THat's half of what the procedure costs in MX!

Band over bypass is not very effective.  I only know one person in the last 5 years of posting that did well with it.

Ladytazz
on 3/16/12 2:13 pm
Before you put yourself through another surgery you owe it to yourself to give your RNY a chance to help you.  I don't even know anything about you but I already know that the reason you have regained is because you are eating a lot of refined carbs, sugar, flour, bread, pasta, etc?  Am I right?  I am not psychic it's just after being here a while I have heard the same story with slight variations.
You don't need a diet and if your pouch and stoma are intact then you really don't need a band and from what I've heard you probably wouldn't want one.
Just go back to basics.  Up the protein, always eat that first.  No drinking with meals or 30 minutes after wards but be sure you get in at least 64 oz of fluids a day.  Watch the carbs.  To lose the regain it helps if you keep the carbs around 50 grams a day.  Find a way to eat that is comfortable and livable because if you want keep the weight off you are going to have to eat that way long term.  Again, no diet, just find a way to eat that you can live with that will help you meet your weight loss goals.
And toss the junk out of your house.  It will take a few days to a few weeks to detox from them.  If you have them for your family, get rid of them.  They don't need it, either, and if they have to have it they can keep it away from you.
Good luck.  You can do this.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics