Surgery Center vs. hospital??????

luvinmyself
on 10/24/12 12:44 pm - GA
Revision on 11/14/12
Hello OH, I am scheduled to have my revision from lap band to RNY on Nov 14th,  I am curious to know if anyone has had this type procedure at a surgery center vs. a hospital, and also is it common for this type procdure to be outpatient?  I was under the assumption that RNY was always an overnight stay.

heathercross
on 10/24/12 8:40 pm - New York, NY
 Just my 2 cents, but, if you are having a recision, which is MAJOR surgery, have it at a hopsital not a surgery center.  Hope for the best, expect the worst.  I had a revision last summer (RNY to Band/BOB) and I had it at a hopsital and it was outpateient in the sense that it was less than 24 hours.  But, a Band to an RNY is a bigger surgery.  Is your band already removed or are they doing a removal and then RNY in one shot?

luvinmyself
on 10/25/12 2:17 am - GA
Revision on 11/14/12
 My band is still there it will be done all in one shot.

heathercross
on 10/25/12 9:29 am - New York, NY

I'd NEVER have surgery, any kind of major surgery in a "surgical center".  I am not even sure why your health insurance would even approve tha.

Allen Y.
on 10/24/12 11:26 pm - Garland, TX
 The 'Surgery Center" has no overnight beds? Is a full survice hospital near by? If you save alot of money and can be transferred to the hospitial should the need arise then think it over.

luvinmyself
on 10/25/12 2:19 am - GA
Revision on 11/14/12
 Yes, there is a hospital near by. Thanks for the response 
Hislady
on 10/25/12 8:03 am - Vancouver, WA
Personally I would never consider a surgry center for revision. Too many things can go wrong too fast. If the surgeon can't get approved to work in the hospital I'd be very leery of having him work on me at all. Revisions are't an easy surgery and take much longer than a virgin surgery. Myself I'd find a real surgeon.
pineview01
on 10/25/12 12:51 pm - Davison, MI

I had my band out only done in the hospital.  I would never have a revision in a surgery center.  The one I had foot surgery in was right by the hospital but I still wouldn't have a revision there.  The surgery center only does same day out patient.  I have never heard of one that takes overnight stays.  I have never heard of a revision being done outpatient and not staying overnight.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Sherrie P.
on 10/26/12 12:21 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I cannot imagine having RNY in a surgery center, let alone removal and RNY.  Most people I have talked to were in for 2 nights.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active