Do I qualify for a revision?

April1490
on 1/2/13 11:46 am - Aurora, CO

I had my RNY in September 2006. I started out at 256 and my lowest weight was 123. I am now at 166 and can not seem to get the weight off. I also am severely anemic and need to take iron 3 times a day for the rest of my life. What are my options? I know 43 pounds doesn't sound like a lot but, I am scared it just going to keep climbing. Any advice?

heathercross
on 1/2/13 9:03 pm - New York, NY

The first thing you need to do is go see your surgeon. You need to talk about why this is happening or has happened.  Ask for a CT Scan of your abdomen and also an endoscopy.  It will tell you if your pouch has stretched or if you have an enlarged stoma.  You cannot do anything or even consider anything before you know the root cause.  

Good Luck.

TamaraL
on 1/3/13 10:11 am

most of the time they will not do a revision unless your BMI is 35 or higher and have co morbidities again.  166 is not that bad.

have you discussed with your doctor doing iron infusions.  that can really get your iron level up!!!

Tamara

Mary Catherine
on 1/4/13 3:35 am
Almost everyone loses 100 pounds with surgery and gains back 20 for a net of 80 pounds less than surgery weight.

You do not need a revision, just a food and exercise plan. Weigh everyday and stay out of denial. It will take time but you did it before and can do it again.
heathercross
on 1/4/13 8:55 am - New York, NY

Get the testing done. Yes, everyone regains, but it you are regaining from a failed procedure, it wouldn't matter what your BMI is.

pineview01
on 1/4/13 9:50 am - Davison, MI

It can to the insurance!  I had to prove failure of the original procedure.  I had to than start out like I hadn't had a filed WLS.  Yep, had to be back to a BMI of 35 with at least two comorbs.  Seems to be about a 50/50 chance.  At the time I was under the 35 and had only one.  Took some doing to get approved including having to show a BMI of 35 and my Doctor Stating I had two comorbs.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Sherrie P.
on 1/4/13 9:03 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Depends 100% on your insurance. They are all different.  Call them - it can't hurt. They will tell you their qualifications for revision. Mine will only revise if you meet the initial surgery BMI or are underweight (for RNY revision).

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
Recent Topics