looking into revision

MICHELLE BROWN
on 1/7/13 5:21 am - Vernon Rockville, CT

Hi my name is Michelle. i had rny on Oct 28, 2008. i lost a total of 69 lbs i know not much... i use to hit the gym all the time.. in 2010 i got pregnant with my youngest daughter. i only gained 6lbs.. my weight loss after she was born just stood still. however a year after she was born i went through one of the roughest times of my life and started to do as i used to do i ate for comfort! as of today i regained all my weight but 20lbs... i have tried going back to the basics.. i tried going back to the surgeon and he is honestly useless..( there is more to the doctor then i care to even mention)  so i just recently moved and i am on my way to finding a new surgeon to do revision surgery or lap band i am undecided to which one is better... so i am hoping to get opinions thanks.. my new pcp seems to think something was not done right considering i only lost 69lbs

Hislady
on 1/7/13 6:04 am - Vancouver, WA

Some folks have success with band over bypass surgery but you still have to watch what you eat and hit the gym just like you did before. No matter what you do you will still have to follow the same course. Good luck.

MICHELLE BROWN
on 1/7/13 6:07 am - Vernon Rockville, CT

i absolutely dont mind doing that! thank u!

heathercross
on 1/9/13 11:00 am - New York, NY

Hi Michelle. I've had a Band over Bypass (BOB) in June of 2011. I had my RNY in 2002 went from 305 to 175. I regained back to 250 from years 2008 - 2011.  I am now at 170. I love my Band but its a totally different animal then the RNY.  Its tough. The Gastric Bypass was a PIECE OF CAKE! My suggestion, finjd a new surgeon, get the notes from your old surgeon, ask for a ct scan of your abdomen as well as a endoscopy. This will show if you have a stretched stoma and/or an enlarged pouch, From there, discuss options. Also, check your insurance carrier to see what their rules are on revisions as well as WLS. Some insurances see the BOB as a 'new surgery' some see it as a revision.  But, get the facts first and remember, weight loss with the band IS REALLY slow. Its a diet.

pineview01
on 1/10/13 3:34 am, edited 1/10/13 3:34 am - Davison, MI

I personally can't recommend a band to anybody.  They are just a short term fix that comes at a high cost!

There are also a handful of surgeons that can do a rny to DS revision.  You may want to check out DSfacts.com

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Cam L.
on 1/14/13 5:26 pm - Seattle, WA

Hello all! 

I had my gastric bypass (Lap RNY) in December of 2005 in South Carolina.  I was down to 335 from 400 at the time of surgery.  I lost another 100 lbs after surgery.  I hovered around 235-245 for several years.  18 months ago I broke my foot and couldn't work out. It took six months to walk without assistance and a year to be pain free enough to exercise.  I gained about 40 lbs back and can't seem to shake much of it at all. I am at 293 now, and the surgeons here in Seattle feel I might benefit from a revision to a DS surgery as well.  For long term weight loss it has the strongest results.  I have to say I am hesitant to do a revision. I mean I had an excellent experience with my RNY, the surgeon was magnificent, supportive, and it did it's job. I was just ill advised on things like exercise and this not being a life long solution.  For the past six months I have been on Bistro MD (1200 calories a day) and I do Pilates in refromer classes six days a week.  Soooooo, I am considering the revision as well.  I don't think Band over Bypass would be a good option for me since I am really restricting my calorie intake already and exercising.  I am open to suggestions and appreciate you Michelle for this thread! I am in the same boat! 

MICHELLE BROWN
on 1/18/13 12:12 am - Vernon Rockville, CT

Ty Cam! I hope nothing but the best for u! Ugh its been such a headache getting my surgical notes.. I just found out they have 60 days to send them.. I am so frustrated, My surgeon was a jerk. The new doctors office will not even schedule an appointment for me till they have my surgical notes! so u can see my frustration!

Most Active
Recent Topics