Rate of weight loss after VSG revision to DS

k__
on 8/11/15 8:07 am - Bellevue, WA
DS on 08/06/15

I'm just wondering what the pattern of weight loss has been for those who've had the revision from VSG to DS. I just returned home from the surgery and hope to set some realistic expectations. I also hope I won't go crazy on the 20-days of liquids-only phase of the post-op diet!

Karen

Baby1234
on 8/11/15 8:39 am

What did you think of the VSG?I am considering it or bypass .I have a Lapband I want revised.

k__
on 8/11/15 8:42 am - Bellevue, WA
DS on 08/06/15

I was very happy with the VSG. I initially lost 75 pounds, but then regained close to 25, hence the revision. You should look through the message board; there are many instances of VSG that eventually revise to DS, as I did.

Baby1234
on 8/11/15 8:40 am

What do you think of the VSG?I am considering it or a bypass as a revision from the lapband.

Ruby_Trout
on 8/11/15 11:26 pm - Canada

Consider the d/s perhaps?

Ruby Trout 

Marquismark
on 8/14/15 10:04 am
DS on 12/10/15

Depends on you and if you think you can overcome the addiction.  VSG is great, but it takes more self-regulation.  With it, I find that I can eat whatever I want with no dumping, etc.  I can only speak for myself, but my surgery was a piece of cake.  One day in the hospital.  Zero complications.  It's a very simple surgery and, from a medical perspective, you can feel comfortable about it. You'll be exactly as you were -- just a smaller stomach  

BUT hat's not necessarily a good thing for folks like us.  The pouch will stretch.  In time you will be able to eat more and, if you graze, drink with meals, etc, you will regain a lot of the weight.

With a bypass, you will get negative feedback if you do the wrong things.  That may be necessary if you don't think you can self-regulate. Seen different statistics, but it seems the bypass has slightly better results in terms of weight loss.

They're both good surgeries, but it's a decision you have to make for yourself. 

The sleeve hasn't worked so well for me because I haven't worked with it.  Thought  was special.  Lo and behold, I'm not.  It really is just a tool.  I get that now.  I'm considering a revise myself.

Good luck!

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/14/15 2:46 pm

I am sorry to disappoint you  - but only 30%of RNY dump. And even those who dump - eventually can learn how to eat around that. 

I ma a special case because not only I dump - but I also get severe RH - but...I can eat around it if I want to.. in 7 years- I learn what and how much I can eat to avoid most negative consequences of dumping/ RH (reactive hypoglycemia)

all except one - gaining weight if i do that.. (cheat)

I also developed food allergies and SIBO. and IBS - most likely due to RNY.. I don't wish that on anyone...

food I am allergic to? I can still eat that- I just need to remember to take my allergy pills... 

Do we fail the surgery or is the surgery failing us? [Edit Post]
August 30, 2011 8:46 am
Published

New Data on Weight Gain Following Bariatric Surgery

Gastric bypass surgery has long been considered the gold standard for weight loss. However, recent studies have revealed that this particular operation can lead to potential weight gain years later. Lenox Hill Hospital’s Chief of Bariatric Surgery, Mitchell Roslin, MD, was the principal investigator of the Restore Trial – a national ten center study investigating whether an endoscopic suturing procedure to reduce the size of the opening between the gastric pouch of the bypass and the intestine could be used to control weight gain in patients following gastric bypass surgery. The concept for the trial originated when Dr. Roslin noticed a pattern of weight gain with a significant number of his patients, years following gastric bypass surgery. While many patients could still eat less than before the surgery and become full faster, they would rapidly become hungry and feel light headed, especially after consuming simple carbohydrates, which stimulate insulin production.

The results of the Restore Trial, which were published in January 2011, did not confirm the original hypothesis – there was no statistical advantage for those treated with suturing. However, they revealed something even more important. The data gathered during the trial and the subsequent glucose tolerance testing verified that patients who underwent gastric bypass surgery and regained weight were highly likely to have reactive hypoglycemia, a condition in which blood glucose drops below the normal level, one to two hours after ingesting a meal high in carbs. Dr. Roslin and his colleagues theorized that the rapid rise in blood sugar – followed by a swift exaggerated plunge – was caused by the absence of the pyloric valve, a heavy ring of muscle that regulates the rate at which food is released from the stomach into the small intestine. The removal of the pyloric valve during gastric bypass surgery causes changes in glucose regulation that lead to inter-meal hunger, impulse-snacking, and consequent weight regain.

Dr. Roslin and his team decided to investigate whether two other bariatric procedures that preserve the pyloric valve – sleeve gastrectomy and duodenal switch – would lead to better glucose regulation, thus suppressing weight regain. The preliminary data of this current study shows that all three operations initially reduce fasting insulin and glucose. However, when sugar and simple carbs are consumed, gastric bypass patients have a 20-fold increase in insulin production at six months, compared to a 4-fold increase in patients who have undergone either a sleeve gastrectomy or a duodenal switch procedure. The dramatic rise in insulin in gastric bypass patients causes a rapid drop in glucose, promoting hunger and leading to increased food consumption.

“Based on these results, I believe that bariatric procedures that preserve the pyloric valve lead to better physiologic glucose regulation and ultimately more successful long-term maintenance of weight-loss,” said Dr. Roslin.

http://www.lenoxhillhospital.org/press_releases.aspx?id=2106

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Marquismark
on 8/14/15 6:28 pm
DS on 12/10/15

Thank you for that.  Food for thought.  However, it is ONE doctor's opinion.  The stats I've seen (from studies that are more comprehensive) indicate RNY has slightly better long term weight loss than sleeve.  But, regardless, they both require vigilance and compliance.  From the article, it sounds like the RH can be avoided by limiting sugars and carbs.  That could be a good thing, depending on your POV.

Sleeve to DS revision by Dr. Gary Belzberg. Highest Weight (pre-sleeve): 325 (40.6 BMI) DS Revision Surgery Weight: 295 (36.7 BMI) Current Weight: 235 (29.5 BMI) 6'3"

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/15/15 7:06 am

Looks like you are set to have RNY. Many people are successful with it. So many it is a right choice for you. 

Good luck. 

Marquismark
on 8/15/15 9:37 am
DS on 12/10/15

Actually, I'm not.  It's what my insurance Kaiser So Cal) will pay for and is offering me.  Not sure if I want to.  At the moment, I feel like rededicating myself to my stretched sleeve or maybe trying 12 steps again, rather than getting another surgery. 

I've read plenty of posts and see that people tend to be happier with the DS.  I just don't have $35,000 lying around. 

I also understand that if I don't change some destructive behaviors, I will fail the RNY, too.  I definitely don't want to get a draconian surgery if I'm just going to end up back here (at a 37 BMI).

So, I guess I'm soul searching...

Most Active
Recent Topics