Seriously considering VSG to RNY revision- any advice?

mi75
on 3/21/17 9:53 am, edited 3/22/17 7:57 am
VSG on 06/01/14

I had significant GERD (even had a positive Barrett's screen in 2012) prior to my initial surgery three years ago, and have been on a PPI for about 7 years at this point. My original surgeon told me it was my option, either VSG or RNY, and I chose against RNY due to my fear of malabsorption. I initially lost about 65 lbs, but my GERD never totally resolved.

I have struggled with regain and am having significant GERD. My new surgeon has suggested that I have revision and wants to move on it soon.

I asked him to please wait and see if I could lose on my own, but I'm not, and still struggling. I want my GERD gone.

I'm going to give myself a solid 6 weeks from right now to see if I can make ANY impact on my regain, and have an appointment in May to see him again.

I would love to hear from any VSG to RNY revision folks and hear about your stories after revision. One of my biggest issues is cost. I changed insurance to a completely different provider (both cover surgery almost in full) but I don't want to end up having to pay for the revision myself.

THANKS in advance!!

stacyrg
on 3/21/17 4:41 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I revised from VSG to RNY because of severe GERD in July, 2016. In my opinion, you should be more concerned with the GERD than with revising to lose weight. You were positive for Barretts and have been on PPIs for 7 years, yet your GERD is uncontrolled. I wouldn't wait to see if you can "lose on your own" and would move forward on the revision sooner rather than later. I can't really speak to loss after revision. I was 10 lbs from goal at the time I revised (I was at goal but gained about 12 lbs due to all the crackers I was eating to absorb the acid). I lost that weight pretty quickly and am now back at goal. My surgeon did say that weight loss after a revision is slower.

As far as insurance, my revision was covered at 100%, but I had already met my yearly out of pocket at the time I had my surgery (I underwent numerous tests including an endoscopy, manometry and pH testing, and a barium swallow which satisfied my deductible and my out of pocket.) But, I can't speak about your insurance situation. I know there was no question with my surgery regarding insurance approval, because it was deemed medically necessary.

Seriously, don't wait. By waiting you're putting your health at risk.

jennyanydots
on 3/22/17 12:18 pm
RNY on 02/28/17

Our stories are quite similar. I originally had LapBand in 2004, had VSG done 12-15-15 and just had revision to RNY because of GERD/reflux/Barrett's esophagus on 2-28-17. I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus in 2014. I only had silent reflux prior to the VSG. The silent reflux is what caused the Barrett's. I chose to have the VSG instead of RNY initially because of the malabsorption that comes with RNY. I didn't want to have the malabsorption factor, only the restrictive part. I am very happy with my choice to have the revision to RNY. I have had NO GERD/reflux since the revision! The longer you wait to have the revision, the more advanced Barrett's will become and that increases your risk for esophageal cancer. Don't put it off any longer!

**Lap-Band 11/1/2004-Dr. Hugh Houston, Nashville TN

-Port replacement 9/26/2005

-Removed 7/10/2014

**Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy 12/15/2015-Dr. Brian Swain, Murray KY

**RNY Gastric Bypass 2/28/2017-Dr. Brian Swain, Murray KY

antionettelewis525
on 3/24/17 5:27 pm - Creedmoor, NC

Hi I'm trying to get a revision myself.Kind of scared

Kbonette
on 3/27/17 9:11 am

I just had a VSG to RNY revision last Thursday, 3/23 for GERD. I have had it my whole adult life and the meds were not giving me relief anymore. It is GONE! Completely, totally, GONE! The recovery from the RNY so far has been more difficult for my than the VSG but I am only a few days post op. My insurance covered it because it was for the GERD.

bruindiva92
on 3/27/17 5:42 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

I am having a revision(March 29) from VSG to RNY due to a hiatal hernia and bile reflux. The bile reflux is just terrible. I sleep sitting up and have nasty after taste every morning. My insurance is covering the revision.

I have regained about 30 pounds and none of my clothes fit. I understand that the weight loss may be slower but I am ready.

On a side note, this clear liquid diet for the next 2 days makes me want to eat my arm!

Good luck with your decision.

mi75
on 3/29/17 10:45 am
VSG on 06/01/14

Thank you everybody for the input. I am taking PPI everyday still, and have been for many years so the reflux is under control, however I have to take it about every 18 hours or I start feeling the pressure in my esophagus. So I will be seeing the surgeon in about 7 weeks. between now and then i'm working out at the gym, and starting sunday i'm going to do a full 2 week shakes/light meals/ post surgery type diet with careful protein/cal measurement.

I appreciate everybody's stories. it sounds like my insurance will cover as long as there is documented medical need (doc will schedule the EGD) and then i'll have to meet my deductible but not an issue.

I feel much more in control. hopefully i'll see some progress and start feeling a bit better between now and then.

Most Active
Recent Topics