Advice please... I'm a statistic! :(

Lamarie
on 12/16/19 7:28 pm
Hello! I'm 32, and I'm married with two beautiful little kiddos! In 2008, at the age of 20 and weighing 330lb I underwent gastric bypass surgery. BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE!! At my lowest weight I was 235lb, I never made it to "ONEderland" but I had lost 100lb so I was happy. Fast foward to 2015, I was about 278lb when I had my daughter. I worked my ass off and managed to lose that weight. Skip to 2017, I had my son. With this pregnancy I hit approximately 286lb. In the spring of 2018 I managed to lose every pound that I gained with him plus 10lb. So, in April 2018 I weighed 225lb!! I. WAS. ON. CLOUD. 9!!!! But then something happened and I fell off the wagon and got very depressed. Both of my sister's (who are identical mirror twins) both had bypass surgery after I did, and both underwent tummy tucks and 360° body lifts Dec 2018 and May 2019... So while they were getting even thinnier, I was gaining back weight like crazy! This takes us to today... 12/16/19. I weigh... 308lb!!! What have I done to myself? How did I let this happen? I feel like an embarrassment to my family. Im an embarrassment to myself! Im a walking talking weightloss surgery statistic! I feel hideous! I fear that I will never "get my happy back"... A lot has changed for me this past year, my daughter began preschool 4 days a week, I babysit a 7month old M-F, I took a job teaching children in China online very early every morning at 4am and my husband works midnights. The time that I once had in the past to focus on myself and exercise is no longer there... Also, I am able to eat so much more now than ever before... I literally don't get any fullness sensation which used to tell me to "stop eating!". I had an EGD completed this past February ordered by a new physician closer to my home. The NP who ordered it said that it showed that everything was normal and directed me to see the dietician I the office. I probably know everything possible about calories, carbs, fiber, fat, good foods vs bad foods, metabolism etc. I've dieted my whole life. I know what to eat. I just miss having a "tool" to help me... I scheduled an appointment this Friday at the office of the surgeon who actually performed my surgery in 2008. Does anyone have advice on how to word my situation and inquire if there's any procedures available to help me regain rhe feeling of fullness/tightness in my stomach? I understand that if there are no problems then a revision isnt an option, but maybe there's something else that can help assist me? Any (positive/constructive/helpful) advice is greatly appreciated. I'm sure tons of ppl eat terribly and go back asking how to get the weight off, but I don't want to sound like "that person". I've gotten on meds to help with the depression and began seeing a therapist to try and understand myself, so I'm on the right path. Any suggestions on how I should word what I'm wanting/looking for?

Thanks in advance!

Laura

KayLavonne
on 12/18/19 11:34 am

I am in the same boat... got sleeved in 2012... never made it to onederland but lost lots of weight! Now here i am even heavier than i was in 2012.. the heaviest of my life! I do have GERD. I tried to get a revision but insurance will not pay. Now I am going to Mexico and now researching my options. There is a way that you can get a revision when a bypass has been done. I'm not sure what it consists of. but lets be each other's encouragement. I too miss the feeling of restriction. No we aren't perfect. But it helps that I am not the onlly one out here with the same issues. I have an appt with a therapist and I am going to work even harder this time. Its hard. Hopefully you wont get super negative comments on here... some people on here have negative things to say, as if they are perfect. It can be very discouraging. But I am here for your support.

Lamarie
on 12/18/19 12:55 pm

I'd love to have a diet buddy!! I made a promise to myself that on Jan 1st I am going to back to the Pre-Op Liquid Diet for 2 weeks, then follow the 6 week Post Op Diet as though I'm fresh out of surgery. This should take 12 weeks and my hope is that this will help me get back on track, kick my cravings and help me control portion sizes. I absolutely refuse to continue feeling like a fat, miserable, embarrased and disappointing failure come summer 2020!

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/23/19 10:08 am

I tried "liquid diet" a few time post op. I never lasted more than 2 days. Because the liquids just run though the pouch, the liquids diet of just protein shakes made me feel more hungry than I was anticipating.

But eating mostly dense proteins with some fat (avocado, olives, etc) really worked to "reset m pouch" Even now, when I find myself eating more carbs than I should, going for a week on mostly dense proteins, some non starchy veggies was the key to limit the appetite, the hunger.

Even now, as I am getting ready for holiday dinners, I am limiting carbs. So when I am at my friends house, i could feel real restrictions and eat wisely.

I probably will get a bite of a dessert, but probably only a bite. I plan to bring nuts with me so I can eat them as a dessert.

Many people use the daily posts : "What's on your xxx Menu, RNYers? " on RNY forum as accountability posts, and to get support from others.

Plus - with so many people postings, I always get great ideas for tasty dishes, or snacks, when my own food starts getting boring.

"What's on your Monday Menu, RNYers? " posts - daily posts : "What's on your xxx Menu, RNYers? "

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

elhernandez_pepper2

on 1/12/20 7:21 am

I was told the peanuts were too heavy for my pouch. I used to live on peanuts for protein for 5 years post OP. I am scared to even think about eating then with my overstich.-ever. Please advise.

Cherylnelson
on 1/14/20 4:18 am
Revision on 05/05/20
Cherylnelson
on 1/14/20 12:24 pm
Revision on 05/05/20
elhernandez_pepper2

on 1/12/20 7:15 am

Hi! My name is Lisa,and I'd love to be a diet buddy! From the knowledge you have about weightloss and the drive, you will be on your way. The first few weeks is the hardest. Go back to liquids....I have just had the overstich 1/9/20. I am starting at 258lbs. Liquids 45 days or more. It will be tough as I am impatient and cannot do too much exercise because of my back,but I am excited! Please include me in your support troop. I know how weight gain feels after going from 317 to 147lbs..lasted 6 years....very depressing. I just decided to give it another shot. I am getting older 50 on the 16th of Jan. I want to be healthy.

Please count me in!

ladylion2001
on 6/21/20 11:18 am - Baltimore, MD

Do you have the pre op ans six week plans?

starfishmom
on 12/19/19 9:14 am
VSG on 03/10/12

You are not alone. So I'm 48 and i had VSG in 2012. My highest weight was 335, 5'2". I did great initially, and about 1.5 yrs. later I was down to 220. Also never made it to onderland, but I was happy with how I felt and looked. The weight has creeped up gradually to 270 now, and you sound so much like me. I often find myself taking care of everyone else first, then me. A difficult habit to break, as I sit here typing this, I've put 2 kiddos through college with my husband, taking care of my mother with her ailing health as she lives with us now after my father and nephews death in 2013, and been trying to slowly get back to taking care of me, addressing depression, anxiety, grief, etc. About 3 months ago, I began having crazy symptoms of tightness in esophagus, throat, spasms, etc. This week, I finally found out I have a hiatal hernia and polyp. I have an appointment on Monday with my original surgeon, which I'm dreading a little, because I'm so disappointed in myself and the weight gain. I'm also embarrassed that I dropped all those great habits I had at the beginning a little at a time and allowed things to get this way, but there's nothing we can do about what we did wrong, I've got to get back in the game. Depression and anxiety doesn't help to make you feel overwhelmed and just give up. I'm not trying to make excuses for myself, but what's done is done. I will face the music on Monday. I don't know what the plan will be for me, but know that you are not alone.

Most Active
Recent Topics