Has anyone had Revision to RNY from old staple bypass?

arcadiaden
on 1/6/06 4:01 am - Allegan, MI
20 years ago, I had a Loop type staple bylass for weight loss. I was very successful with it and lost all my weight and kept most of it all for years. But over the past 10 years or so I have had reflux and regurgitation. It gets worse every year. I finally went to a gastroentologist *****commended I have a revision to RNY and he sent me to see a bariatric surgeon (VanderKolk). The surgeon basically told me my stomach is "screwed up" and bile is backing up into my pouch and esophogus. I had a bit of a time getting approve from Cigna but after my first denial, I sent a letter detailing my problems and got a letter from my regular MD, my gast. Dr. and the surgeon. I also let them know if I did not get a reversal I would seek out the advice of an attorney. Three days letter they notified my surgeon that they wanted a telephone conference. They approved my surgery right after the meeting. I have surgery coming up on Feb. 8th. I am a bit nervous about the possibility of complications. However, I have no other major health problems (no diabetes or heart problems). I have arthritic knees and some high cholestrel and the reflux problem. I have sure learned a lot more since going to this doctor. I realize now that all the problems I experienced with my first surgery was all due to the fact that I was not getting nearly enough protein and iron. This time, things will be much different. I will take my protein shakes, vitamins and iron every day for the rest of my life. I am a bit excited about being thin again. I did regain some of my weight, but not all. I got into the habit of noshing constantly because if my stomach emptied out, I would get terrible heartburn, to the point of feeling sick to my stomach. If I ate bread or crackers, my stomach acid would go down. I am wondering if anyone out there as had a similar experience of having the old style surgery and converting over to RNY. I would appreciate any advice or tips you may have for me.
Patti N.
on 1/7/06 2:53 am - Marion, IN
I not really sure exactly what type I had back then (22yrs ago) just your basic stomach stapling I guess. I was worried about comps too, scarring yada yada you know the drill. I can tell you honestly I had none and I did have some major health issues. My only advice make sure your Dr. has experience with revision surgery and follow his or her instructions afterwards.Good luck Patti -99lbs
amymarieblackmon
on 3/15/06 4:42 am - Quakertown, PA
I just wanted to let you know, I know exactly what you have gone through. I "supposedly" had a rny in 2000. But for the next 5 years I had the terrible reflux. I was having many other issues. So I went to see my original surgeon, and well he retired and did not send out notification. So I found 2 surgeons willing to see me about possible revision, however they told me I had a Loop bypass not a rny as I had thought. Needless to say I was so upset. I decided to go through and get a revision to a rny. It has been a year. I cannot lose weight, but I have no problems with reflux, and my iron/anemia is back to normal. Go figure. It is nice to know that I went through all the problems for nothing.
Most Active
Recent Topics