Surgery on 1/25 and Everything is Settled

Carolyn R.
on 1/20/05 2:21 am - Silver Spring, MD
Future Update OK...I'm sure now that I know what I am doing! Man, the ups and downs around figuring out how to pay for this surgery have made me CRAZY! I got a call from my director of human resources and he told me the big meeting yesterday left things still up in the air...no vote to cover bariatric surgery...like I thought it would be any other way. I am so glad I kept my surgery date and didn't postpone thinking I might have it covered by insurance. So, I start my Hibclense washes twice a day tomorrow and my Nystatin swish and swallow... eew! I pick up my Lovenox from the pharmacy tomorrow and have it for the night before surgery! I am a nurse but the idea of giving myself an injection is really ...ah....hmm...yucky! I will do it though because the idea of a blood clot is more disturbing. I have stuck to my liver reduction diet and am still losing weight!! Trying not to get on the scale everyday cause it messes with my mind. I figured out how to make sugar free Jell-O with Isopure. I used strawberry Jell-O mix and substituted the isopure orange, pineapple, and banana for the water. It actually tasted really good!! I also used the Unjury unflavored powder in my chicken bullion and it works really well. If I used my imagination it could almost be cream of chicken soup! Too bad I didn't try it sooner cause I don't have any more samples...just got the one from Dr. Greene's office. I'd love more but it wouldn't come in time if I ordered it so I'll just have to let that go. I am now writing letters to all my kids and my immediate family...just in case.... is that too morbid or what? I paid Dr. Greene's fee today with my Flexible Spending Account. I am getting my things ready to go. I found an awesome website a few weeks ago with what I should take to the hospital so I am feeling really prepared. I work the next 4 nights so the time should fly by! I am so grateful to the people on OH and the lists I belong to for private and public words of wisdom and encouragement. Everyone is so supportive. I am ready.
Sandra T. RN
on 1/20/05 2:45 am - TX
Good luck, and now you know how our pts feel, LOL.
Jeanie A.
on 1/20/05 5:20 pm
I hadn't thought of using Jello to mix protein drinks. I will have to try that. You are almost there! I don't think it is morbid to write letters. It is practical. I'm recording some things on a little mini-recorder. If anything happens, DH will find it in my purse. I'm also making out a will and a Power of Attorney and all that fun stuff. I've been meaning to do that for several years and now is a good time. I hope the next few days go by easily for you. It is an amazing journey. Do you have someone who will update your surgery page so we will know how you are doing? Jeanie in MO DS 02/11/05 "Duodenal Switch: My New Beginning"
MomZombie
on 1/21/05 1:27 pm - North Charleston, SC
Hey! Your big day is almost here. Hooray! One of my sister's had gastric bypass this past Dec. and she wrote letters to all of her siblings whom she has had conflict with (Hmmm, that would be us all) and our parents. Well she is doing fine now and back to her usual irritating, self-loving self. But what ya gonna do? At least she tried to make amends, half-hearted though they were, in case something bad happened. For all I know,your letters may be letters of love, and nothing like my sister's were. It is a considerate thing to do. Where are you having your surgery? I am considering Mexico with Dr. A in Ensenada in case my insurance falls through. I am very happy for you. I know you are excited. Good Luck on Tuesday. I will be thinking about you on that eay and sending good wishes for a speedy recovery. Nancy
laurie102475
on 1/23/05 11:32 pm - Hernando, MS
Well, we will just have to be morbid together. My surgery is scheduled for 1/25/05 as well, and I have written letters to my family too. I think it is just a realistic thing to do because no one knows what can happen. I will say a prayer for you and all our other surgery "buddies" for tomorrow. Best wishes--Laurie
jlbtnrn
on 1/25/05 4:33 am - Mission, KS
I can't wait to hear how you did and how great you are doing when you get home. Hopefully you are in a room somewhere now getting good pain medication. Janice
Most Active
Recent Topics