Will the lab REALLY call the doctor on a weekend if lab results are dangerous?!?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/8/11 2:54 am, edited 1/8/11 3:06 am - OH
Long story short, I take a very high dose of coumadin, my Vitamin K levels are low, and I recently have been changing vitamins and adding some vitamins because my hair is falling out again... and I have a number of symptoms that would indicate that my PT/INR levels are way out of whack. My home test machine keeps giving me an error that is not in the manual so I had blood drawn yesterday afternoon at 3pm.

The woman at the lab assured me that if the results were way off, the lab would contact the doctor even though it is the weekend (and then the doctor would contact me). It's almost 2pm Saturday, though, and I have heard nothing, so i am wondering if the LabCorp people will REALLY call the doctor on a weekend... or if they have even processed the bloodwork yet, for that matter.

Any of you folks in the medical field have any idea?

I did not take my coumadin yesterday or today, but I have several really big and/or dark purple bruises (for no known reason), a scratch from the puppy's toenail that was barely deep enough to draw blood now has a large very black scab on it, and I have a large lump on the top of my forearm that is not discolored, but hurts like a bruise and is making it painful to move my wrist or thumb. Classic symptoms that the PT/INR are way too high... and I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and go to the ER rather than wait for a call from teh doctor that might never come. I hate the ER... but with the bleeding symptoms that I can see, I worry about the remote possibility of internal ones that I cannot see.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bridget B.
on 1/8/11 3:03 am
Lora...if the labs are in a 'panic' level they will call the Dr.
I don't blame u for wanting to go to the ER.
If I didn't hear anything soon, I suppose that's what I'd do too

Bridget Fortune Burns

Carebearny1999
on 1/8/11 3:49 am - Rochester, NY
yeah I think I'd head to the ER if you don't get an answer soon!
Pam T.
on 1/8/11 5:26 am - Saginaw, MI
Does your doctor have 24 on-call service? Might be worth it to give him a call and ask what he thinks. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/8/11 5:51 am - OH
Unfortunately, no. 

I noticed a new bruise appearing on the palm of my hand (the pad of my thumb), so if I don't hear anything by this evening I think I'll have to go to the ER.

Lora

Pam T.
on 1/8/11 10:46 am - Saginaw, MI
 Wondering if you've got an update for me yet. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

fatfreemama
on 1/8/11 7:58 am - San Jose, CA
Lora,
Just wanted to say that I'm glad your back and I've missed seeing you around the board. I'm sorry you are still having so many health problems. I agree about going to the ER if you don't hear from your doc, especially with the increased bruising. And I hate the ER too. Been there too much.

Good luck!

(((((HUGS)))))

Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/11 8:28 am
From my experience, the lab would page at least an on-call doc if ur labs were out of whack dangerously. Can you page the doc yourself to ask what next? Sometimes they need a kick in the ass too. But with your symptoms, if I didn't hear from anyone i would go to the ER or urgent care before the end of the night!!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/8/11 9:35 pm - OH
I took some vicodin yesterday evening (my knee has been REALLY hurting after a fall where I landed directly on it 2 weeks ago) and curled up in bed while waiting to see if the doc would call.  I woke up long enough to let the dogs out and then went right back to bed.  (Yeah, I know, the ER is open 24/7 LOL... I just HATE that place!)

I'm going to have a hot bubble bath and then go to the ER this morning, though.  Maybe they will be less busy on a Sunday morning.

Lora

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views