question for post op peeps!

Bkritty
on 3/22/11 11:07 am

I am looking at a May surgery date (RNY) and I have thoroughly researched the procedure and lifestyle that it takes to be successful. My mother had RNY in 2005 and I watched her go through the process. She lost 276 pounds and while she has kept the majority of it off and has no regrets I have noticed that she has been slowly putting on some and she definitely doesn't come close to following the "rules". I know that this isn't a quick fix and its going to take hard work and I don't want to give the impression that I need a reality check because I know what needs to happen to be a success.

Lets face it we all didn't get to where we are/were by loving exercise and eating healthy so I guess I want to know...what changed you? Obviously the surgery has restricted you, but how did you go from being lethargic and unmotivated and a sedentary life to running marathons, weight lifting, hitting the gym, pool, etc?

Exercise has always been my downfall (well one of them). I have never been the least bit coordinated or athletic and was always the chubby kid who got picked last in gym class that NO ONE wanted on their team so not a lot of good feelings around sports as a kid. I would love to be tone and get serious with exercise but I am a mom now of three and a full time nursing student and obviously have a lot on my plate. Where do you find the time and energy at the end of your day (or beginning).

I want to sort through all of my concerns and feel completely ready in all areas to face the challenges ahead so any feedback would be appreciated!

Kristie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/22/11 11:16 am - OH
Not all of us run marathons, lift weights, etc....  I have always HATED traditional exercise and I STILL hate traditional exercise.  I enjoyed water aerobics for a while but once I lost the weight, I just got way too cold in the pool!

I have a full-time job, a part-time job, take care of a house and yard, and am working on finishing a PhD, so time can be short. Most of my exercise comes from parking father back in the parking lot at work, taking the stairs instead of the elevator to the 3rd floor, walking the dogs, and using the recumbent bike I have at home.  I still have a membership at the local Rec Center, but use it only occasionally due to pain in my knees (and lack of weight loss even when I was there 4 days per week).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lady Lithia
on 3/22/11 11:16 am
Welcome Kristie

Someone once said something that the best exercise you can do is the exercise you WILL do.... if it's walking, going to the gym, hiking, swimming.... find something you like and do it.

Hopefully you will reenergize your mum to try to follow the rules too.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

poet_kelly
on 3/22/11 11:23 am - OH
Um, I did NOT go to running marathons or lifting weights.  No way.  Not me.

What changed for me?  Well, I get satisfied on small portions, which is probably the biggest thing that helped me.

I happen to dump on sugar so I avoid sugary foods.  I know many people don't dump, though.

I've learned a lot about nutrition and just eat better overall.  When I make sure I get enough protein and stuff, I don't have too much room left for junk food.  And I do make sure I get my protein, at least most of the time, because I've noticed I don't feel too well if I don't.

Having gone through  major surgery, I also feel like, what's the point of doing that if I'm not going to do what I need to do to be successful now?

Kelly
Katari
on 3/22/11 11:23 am - OR
I think exercise is the thing most people worry about for the same reasons you mentioned. I used to play volleyball in grade school and Jr. High, but other than that I just wasn't into "sports". However, getting exercise doesn't have to be a chore, because lets face it if we really hate doing it, most of us would avoid it forever!

I have two small kids (3 & 4) and one big kid (17yrs) so I understand trying to fit in exercise especially when your a full time student as well.  I think the big thing is finding something you enjoy doing being it a zumba class or swimming, running or ???? How old are your kids can they watch themselves while you do an exercise class or are they young enough to get them envolved with something like a toddler/parent exercise class? get a couple of dance video's for at home and have the kids dance with you while you do it. Depending on their age can you do family bike rides? or can you pull them behind your bike with a bike trailer? How about family kite flying (sports kites can be a work out!)? How about getting kayaking lessons and trying that out? Hiking? There's lots of things you can do as a family that gets you up and moving and it doesn't have to be the "hitting" the gym thing.

Good Luck!
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Ladytazz
on 3/22/11 11:26 am
I hate exercise. Once in a while I can force myself to do 30 minutes on the machine I have taking space up in my living room but given my druthers I would rather not. I never got used to it, either. With my first surgery I joined Curves and went 3 days a week for one year when my membership ran out. I never went back again. I never learned to like it. I also joined a aquatic center and went to water aerobics for a while and that was probably the closest I came to liking exercise, which wasn't much. I am not bragging, just being honest. I have good intentions, just no motivation. If I would have noticed a payoff either in feeling better or looking better I might be inclined to do it more but for me it is just work.
I have heard that exercise is more for weight maintenance then weight loss. I have to be honest. I keep seeing all these people that say they exercise 5 or more days a week, 2, 3 or more hours and they don't lose weight. I don't get it. When I exercised regularly I didn't notice a change in my weight loss pattern. Not saying it doesn't help people, just my own observations.
I do try to walk as much as I can, including parking farther away and window shopping. That is the best I can do at the moment. To tell the truth, even though I am very happy at the weight I am at, even if it means I gain a bit from here, that probably wouldn't be enough motivation for me to exercise regularly.
I do have a community center right down the street and one of these days I am going to join so I can go to the water aerobic classes. I just keep procrastinating. And I am broke.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

KittenLove
on 3/22/11 11:37 am - Around Knoxville, TN
congrats on your upcoming date and I think it's super cool that you've been around your mama.

Ok, I don't think I'm normal b/c I adore exercise. Some days I have to force myself to go and squeak out 30 minutes on an elliptical for the most part I'm excited to go. Exercise isn't necessary for losing -- you can restrict calories to achieve the same required deficit BUT I do think that it helps in maintenance and I am glad that I embraced it as part of my lifestyle rather than a weight loss tool during my honeymoon period.

What changed me from me old days? Well, this is the girl who would eat fast food on the way home and then eat a huge dinner. It was bad. I still struggle with food demons and many days I take it one hour at a time. But I viewed this process as the one chance I had always hoped for -- and waaaay exceeded my own expectations.

Best wishes!

Be happy. 

KittenLove
on 3/22/11 11:39 am - Around Knoxville, TN
and to add that I had to adopt a morning gym routine to make it work. So I get up earlier than I ever have and hit the gym then. Gets it outta the way and increases my energy for the day.

Right now, I'm also enjoying the nice spring weather and running outside. I don't have human children and I can only imagine trying to juggle three! Where there's a will there's a way....you will find what works for you

Be happy. 

vitalady
on 3/22/11 12:03 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Fear.

I don't want to ever not be able to walk to get my mail or reach my toes.

Exercise, no. I'm allergic to it, for sure. But I'm no couch potato, either. It's much easier for me to monitor intake than pretend I'm actually going to do some organized exercise. Last time I walked with a friend, I broke my arm and changed my life forever. Proof, I say.

I do a lot of protein drinks because they help keep me in the driver's seat with food. Do I want things that can fatten me up? Of course! But it's not that gnawing craving on a regular basis that I have before. And I know some foods are gateway drugs for me and it's always about texture.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

wufpackerfan
on 3/22/11 12:06 pm - Garner, NC
Hi Kristie:

First of all congrats on your decision to have RNY in May.  Researching it is key and talking to others who've been there and done that is key as well.  So I think you're doing all the right things and are on the right path. 

I'm only 3 weeks out as of tomorrow.  So I can't offer alot of advice right now but you're so right in that all of us ended up at this crossroads mainly because we LOVE to eat (and usually eat stuff that isn't good for us or we eat TOO MUCH) and most of us don't LOVE exercise.  That's me.  I'd admit it.  I enjoy food but I realize that I have to make a lifestyle change.  I didn't think I could make it through a liquid diet for 3 weeks--but I did.  I look at food differently.  I could eat soft foods beginning today and you'd think I'd be thrilled about it but I was just "okay"...I ate some flaked tuna and low fat cottage cheese for dinner.  It was good but I did okay with the liquid too.  I am trying to look at food differently.  Eat to live instead of living to eat.  I'm going to try to stick to eating my protein first, then veggies, etc.  I am also going to take the advice of another co-worker of mine who had surgery back in 2006 and she told me to NOT start eating stuff I used to eat that got me to the point of being overweight.  She told me if I didn't eat it, then I wouldn't re-develop a taste for it.  Makes sense to me.  So I am really determined to focus on eating healthy and following the RULES.

As far as exercise goes, I'm not a huge fan but I know that I need to supplement this RNY (TOOL) with exercise to lose weight and stay healthy.  I'm going to try to get active now that my energy has picked up since surgery.  I have a treadmill and so I've told myself that I can'****ch shows I tape on my DVR unless I'm moving on the treadmill.  I have placed a tv in front of the treadmill so I do plan to stick to my plan now that I'm starting to eat real food again. 

I think it's a combo of changing your lifestyle and being mindful of WHAT foods you are eating, following the RULES of RNY, and finding some type of exercise that is right for you.  Any "moving" is better than no moving but getting active is important for long term weight loss maintenance.  I'm just beginning this journey and I'm excited.  I'm going to do the best that I can with the tool I've been given.  At my 3 week check up today, I weighed and have lost 25 lbs.  So that was thrilling. 

My suggestion is to do exactly what you're doing--research, research, & keeping talking to people who've had surgery and can offer advice.  Good Luck to you!!!

"Nothing tastes as GOOD and being HEALTHY FEELS!" 

RNY (3/11)   Age: 45  Height: 5'5"  &  NO plastic surgical procedures                                                      Starting weight: 270  Lowest weight: 132  Goal weight: 135  Current weight: 138.8 

Most Active
Recent Topics