Please read - weird side effect

Cgarri1028
on 3/27/11 8:44 am - Tualatin, OR

I posed this question a couple of weeks ago and didn't get much of a response.  I have a weird system that my NP can't come up with a definitive cause.  I will get what seems like a hot flash that starts in my groin and travels up very quickly.  This is immediately preceded by a odd sensory memory.  The memory seems different every time but I can almost smell it, feel it, etc and as soon as I am almost able to say ah-ha they whole thing passes.  I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago so I do not think this is hormone related.  It has only happened post-gny.  It is very disturbing and I think it would be less so if I knew what was causing it.  The NP said it could be anything and took my blood sugar which was 91 but I had not had the symptoms for a couple of days so I don't think the test meant anything.  This is not a daily thing - has happened twice.  First time, it lasted for a little more than a day.  The second time, it lasted almost three days.  It can recur as often as every twenty minutes to 12 hours.  Any ideas?

grnydldy2
on 3/27/11 9:27 am
You don't say whether or not you had a total hysterectomy. Specifically do you still have your ovaries? If so I would suspect it is definitely hormanal. I see that your surgery was not that long ago and you are probably breaking down a lot of fat which is also releasing hormones so once again I say all things are pointing to hormones. Keep a log and perhaps your PCP can shed more light on the problem. Hope you feel better.
Cgarri1028
on 3/27/11 9:33 am - Tualatin, OR
A complete hysterectomy - no ovaries.  The hot flashes aren't the worst part - it is the strange sensory memories.  They make me very uncomfortable - at least the entire episode is fleeting.  I would feel much better - I think - if someone else has had this happen. 
qnmimi
on 3/27/11 11:50 am - Cottage Grove, MN
Do you have anyone around you when this happens? Do you "wake up" after? Any history of siezures, low blood pressure...any quick positional changes...ie standing up too fast? Sounds like your PCP could get a little more indepth about a work-up for you.

Cgarri1028
on 3/28/11 7:15 am - Tualatin, OR
I think it is a good idea to speak with my PCP.  So far, I have only discussed with the bariatric team and they have been very nonchalant about it.  I don't really "wake up" as I am aware when it is happening that it is not a real-time event.  It is just very strange.  No seizures or low blood pressure.  Also not related to positional changes as I have actually still been in bed (in the morning) and had this happen.
Amy L.
on 3/27/11 10:31 pm - Buffalo, NY
I would see a neurologist, get a complete work up including bloodwork, xrays, sonogram, and MRI.  I've had a stroke- not that I think this is what you have at all.  But I've also had cysts in my spinal column that were on the nerves to my legs, and it began as how you're describing- but in my hamstrings, and got much worse over time. (no sensory memory issues though)  But if you're having sensory memory issues that are happening with this groin issue, then you need to see a neurologist, they would be most equipped to handle something like this.
  5'5"tall, RNY 11/22/10, HW256  SW252 CW148 SurgeonGW160 MyGW130  5/15/2011 
Met my surgeon's goal weight of 160lbs on 3/30/11! Reached 130lbs on 5/24/11!

CURRENTLY 120LBS, 9/7/11!

Cgarri1028
on 3/28/11 7:22 am - Tualatin, OR
Thanks Amy.  I think I am going to contact my PCP.  I am just assuming it is related to the rny because of the timing but, as my daughter pointed out, it may be completely unrelated.  Based on the general lack of response to this email, I am thinking this is not something that has happened to other people as a side effect of surgery.  Further research did indicate that low blood sugar could result in hot flashes but there was nothing about the "memories."
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 299 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 301 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
Recent Topics