Cauliflower pizza crust!

Ladycavez
on 3/27/11 7:53 am
Omgoodness! It's incredible and low carb! I wish I would have known about this pre surgery so I could eat a whole slice!

I used a head of fresh cauliflower, 3 eggs, and LF shredded cheese. Cooked the cauliflower well, mashed it with a potato masher, added the eggs and shredded cheese. Formed it on a large pizza pan. I sprinkled Italian seasoning, garlic, and a smidge of salt.
Baked it at 450 for 20 minutes or until browned.

Remove from oven, top with your choice of sauce and toppings. Broil until everything is melted.

Change for next time--I will spread the crust mixture thinner, maybe over 2 pans.

I'm still on a soft food diet--so the very soft crust fit my liking, but my family would prefer the more crispy crust. One of y sons actually described it as a pizza "pie" with the crust soft. Regardless, it tasted heavenly to me (at this stage--many things taste heavenly!)

Thank you to the OH poster who posted this recipe last week. I wouldn't have ever thought about it myself.

I'm so happy that I have found a good substitute for traditional pizza (which I could eat every day). I thought pizza would be absent from my life forever!

P.S. I even think the cauliflower crust could be turned into a good substitute for "bread sticks"!

Hugs and wishes for a good week of healthy eating,
Carly
ktharp89
on 3/27/11 7:58 am - Gaithersburg, MD
I'm going to try that when I go onto soft foods!
Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

smole
on 3/27/11 8:06 am
You should have posted a pic... Im like you anything at this point. lol  Sounds so good, what kind of toppings did you use for yourself?
Ladytazz
on 3/27/11 8:15 am

Here you go.  I think I am the one that posted the recipe.  I'm glad you like it.  Makes up for not being able to have the real thing.  And no guilt whatsoever.  I play around with it as far as how much cauliflower and egg and cheese to use and what kind of cheese.  It is totally adaptable to your cravings.  The original recipe did include breadsticks, too.
One thing I did that I like is I cut up the cauliflower and then process it in my Ninja food processer.  I use about 2 cups and then I microwave it for a few minutes.  It really tastes like the real thing that way.
One of these days I am going to get a bunch of vegies like green peppers and onions and some crumbled turkey sausage and some olives and make up another one.  I would do it now but I have to wait until pay day.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Ladycavez
on 3/27/11 9:44 am
 Thank you so much for posting the recipe. Pizza is my absolute favorite food and I have felt like I'd never be able to enjoy it again. The crust was my favorite part. After making this, I finally feel like I have an acceptable substitute. I'm sorta like you, I don't do a lot of measuring. I have a good eye for how much of what i'm putting into recipes. I could see many variations of this recipe. I could even see the cauliflower as a base for a casserole--perhaps throw some cooked broccoli in the mixture and bake it in a casserole dish. My mind is racing! 

And one additional comment--I feel very satisfied after having a few bites. 

WeightinToGetOut
on 3/27/11 8:18 am - IN
Thank you for this great idea.  I will be using it soon, since I will be having surgery this Tuesday!
KARLA

Amy T.
on 3/27/11 8:47 am - CA
Yum!  I am def. going to try the recipe this week!  I haven't had surgery yet,  but have been restricting my diet like I have....  This sounds so yummy!!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

Kermit P.
on 3/27/11 8:53 am, edited 3/27/11 8:55 am
Does this taste like cauliflower? I am really curious!!!!!!!

Also can you use frozen cauliflower???
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Ladycavez
on 3/27/11 9:47 am
I could taste the cauliflower very mildly. I used a potato masher to mash my cauliflower. I think next time, I will use my ninja blender so that the cauliflower is very fine....i think that would help with a cauliflower taste if you don't like it. Also, I think you could add more seasonings in to cover the flavor. Good luck and let me know if you come up with something!

I see no reason why you can't use frozen cauliflower. I planned to use frozen cauliflower, but my son brought me home fresh instead--so that's what I used. 
Ladytazz
on 3/27/11 10:26 am
You can use frozen.  As far as the taste, my teen age daughter had some and didn't have a clue there was cauliflower in it.  I kept waiting for her to say something but she never did.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 148 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 110 views
Recent Topics