A few dumb questions...

Smileygrl810
on 3/28/11 10:52 am

I have a few questions...  :) 

1.) I'm confused on yogurt. My NUT says we can have it as long as it's under 100 calories and no fruit. I have some plain Greet yogurt (Fage) but the sugars are still kind of high in it as well as all of the others I've looked at. I see that everyone is eating it but I'm concerned with the sugars. Can I have it and be okay???

2.) Can we have chopped onion on pureed and soft stages?? I am looking forward to tuna and I really would love to put some onion in the magic bullet and mix it into my tuna. I had heard somewhere that we shouldn't.

3.) Does anyone take any calcium that TASTES good??? I have the largest tub from Bariatric Advantage that I just cannot stand.  I take all the other vitamins from them and actually enjoy the taste...but the calcium... it's so big and chalky and bitter. I don't want to take it anymore. Please tell me there's something out there better.

Well... I think that's it... for now.  I appreciate your responses.  I was looking for Kelly's "dumb questions" post but couldn't find it so I thought I'd just post. Thanks again guys!!!

Highest Weight: 318 lbs
Surgery Weight: 265 lbs
Current Weight: 183 lbs
Goal Weight: 145 lbs 
nfarris79
on 3/28/11 10:59 am - Germantown, MD
 Not dumb questions! Very good questions in fact!
1. Remember that lactose is milk-sugar, so that's where the carb content shows up. Remember to look at the ingredients - as long as refined sugars aren't in the top 3-5 ingredients it's OK to have.
2. I would think so
3. Did you try Celebrate vitamins? they sent me a sample pack but am trying to use up my calcium chews before surgery so haven't tried them yet.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/28/11 11:01 am, edited 3/28/11 11:04 am - Baltimore, MD
Everything nfarris said EXCEPT...check with your NUT about the onions. Mine didn't allow veggies except soft cooked until about 4 mos. post-op. If you like onion flavor, try some onion powder. I do that all the time when I don't have the time or inclination to chop. HTH.

Edited to add: Here's a few resources that you might find helpful.

#1 A primer on Greek yogurt (what to do with it, etc.)

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/09/bf-basics-greek- yogurt.html

#2 A primer on sugar (how it works, sugar content in foods, etc.)

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/p/sugar-content-primer.h tml

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

G.I.Jane
on 3/28/11 11:09 am
My vitamins sucked for calcium - I hated the chalky taste so I switched ASAP to swallow vitamins. Check with your doc and see what they say.

Onions sucked for me early on, they still give me some trouble if not cooked. And I loved them before.

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Unknown.

AMRubel
on 3/28/11 11:31 am
I HATE my calcium too! I would rather chew on a stick of chalk. I currently use the Celebrate Vitamins (Strawberry Cream). I went on line to Bariatric Advantage and ordered their Raspberry Chewy ones (Calcium Citrate). I haven't tried them but am hoping they are so much better! 

Adrienne    
Highest Weight - 263.2  Surgery Weight - 247.40  Current Weight - 148.5   

*Total loss includes 15.8lbs lost on surgeon required pre-op diet.   
AMRubel
on 3/28/11 1:35 pm

UPDATE! :) 

I tried the Raspberry Chewy Calcium Citrate tonight and am in LOVE!! What a yummy treat. It tastes like a raspberry laffy taffy! Good bye stick of chalk...hello chewy goodness!! 

Adrienne    
Highest Weight - 263.2  Surgery Weight - 247.40  Current Weight - 148.5   

*Total loss includes 15.8lbs lost on surgeon required pre-op diet.   
kimkel
on 3/28/11 11:53 am - Ellsworth, ME
 I just had my 2 week follow-up today and I was told no onions.  No fresh fruits or fresh veg at this point.
Like one of the other posters said use onion salt.  I was completely out so I picked some up today.  Good luck.
Kim
Smileygrl810
on 3/28/11 12:16 pm
Thanks! This is a lot of information I didn't know about as far as the sugar content. Thanks for the link... I'm learning so much from you all. And that great website!

I've also got a couple samples from Celebrate but haven't tried the calcium yet. I actually forgot about them. I will try those and see how I handle them. Thanks again!

Highest Weight: 318 lbs
Surgery Weight: 265 lbs
Current Weight: 183 lbs
Goal Weight: 145 lbs 
mickeypal
on 3/28/11 12:28 pm - Tell City, IN
I use the Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Chewy Bites, lemon is my favorite.  Thet are very good!  They are my treat!
Surgery 3/1/2011

jenni93
on 3/28/11 1:01 pm
Regarding the calcium - I was really struggling with taking them for the first month or so.  The chalkiness and icky taste had me gagging.  Then I discovered Celebrate's  Calcium Plus 500 Cherry Tart Flavor.  It is a little sour and much better than the Berries and Cream if you like things not too sweet.  In addition, I suck on mine rather than chewing them.  They dissolve in a few minutes and aren't nearly so nasty in texture that way.  I don't care for the other flavors of Celebrate calcium, but I can definitely live with the Cherry Tart.
   SW:  285   GW:  155    CW:  143          

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 0 replies · 13 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 357 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 355 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 301 views