Is it still worth it all???? yes/no why???

Lady Lithia
on 3/30/11 4:10 pm

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

jandjlove2010
on 4/2/11 10:25 am
I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience.  I hope things get better for you
Lady Lithia
on 3/30/11 4:05 pm
It seems to be worth it to me. Overall, my life is pretty darn good

I hate hypoglycemia and dumping

Managed well, these are just things I watch out for, not things I experience.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Ladytazz
on 3/30/11 4:06 pm
I am only 8 months out from a revision but I am having zero problems. I did have problems from my last surgery but I can honestly say that many of them were my own fault for not eating correctly or supplementing correctly. I learned from my mistakes and I am very careful now about what I eat and about taking all my vitamins.
I guess what I am trying to say is that some complications are in our control. As long as we follow our doctors recommendations we can eliminate a lot of problems.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

jandjlove2010
on 4/2/11 10:18 am
Thanks for the advice I plan to take heed to what you said.  Do you remember when you started taking calcium?
Ladytazz
on 4/2/11 10:52 am
I can honestly say I have always taken my calcium as well as my multivitamins, just not as much as I should  have.  When I had my surgery in 2002 I was told to take one multivitamin and about 2000 mg of calcium as well as ADEKs because the procedure I had was very malabsorptive.  I have always taken the multivitamin but I only took about 1000 mg of calcium because I hated taking so many pills and I wa**** or miss with the ADEKs.  My surgeon didn't test very thoroughly so I didn't know how  all my labs were.  For instance, they only tested me for D, never for A, E or K even though the procedure I had caused me to malabosrb those vitamins because they are fat soluable.  I just assumed that my surgeon knew what to test for.  I never had those tested until earlier this year even though I had requested them a year before from my then PCP.
I am paying for my ignorance though because I recently found out I have osteoporosis.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

hockeymom8016
on 3/30/11 10:23 pm - NJ
Not everyone has bad side effects or complications.  I have had complications (3 additional surgeries) from a gall bladder removal 4 years before my RNY but none from my RNY.   I have a few minor side affects but nothing that I would make me wish I was 354 pounds again. What made this worthwhile for me was being able to fly to New Orleans for my daughter's college graduation and to South Carolina for my son's Marine Corps graduation and not worrying about needing a seat extender or not fitting in the seat. Being able to walk into a clothing store and find clothes that fit me. Increasing my chances of seeing my children get married and have kids of their own. None of these things would have been possible had I not had surgery.  Short answer, it is absolutely worth it.

jandjlove2010
on 4/2/11 10:14 am
Awww...I'm so glad you were able to enjoy those celebrations without the worry.  I too look forward to those flights without the extender.  Thanks so much for sharing
MarilynT
on 3/31/11 12:29 am
Even with complications (two additional surgeries required): WORTH IT.

I love my active, "no limits" lifestyle....which I didn't have at 100+ pounds overweight.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

jandjlove2010
on 4/2/11 10:09 am
Thanks for responding.  I hope you don't mind me asking, but what were the 2 additional surgeries for?
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 456 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 524 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 509 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 395 views
Recent Topics