Is it still worth it all???? yes/no why???

jandjlove2010
on 3/30/11 11:24 am
With all the side effects everyone seem to be having I was just wondering if you all think the results of weight lose is worth dealing with all the changes, side effects and problems.  What make this worth while for you? 
Sue M.
on 3/30/11 11:31 am - Nantucket, MA
at 2+ years out, I would do it again in a heartbeat.  Not only have I met all my HEALTH goals, but I've met my weight loss goals and now continue making NEW goals for myself and meet those.

Yes, there are risks.  Yes, I've had complications.  So far though, everything has worked out, or has been more manageable than the problems I had before as a morbidly obese person.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
jandjlove2010
on 3/30/11 11:37 am
WOW!  Look at you, that's great.  Thanks for sharing you made me feel better.  Im a little nervous.  Me and my daughter go in tomorrow.
lynnc99
on 3/30/11 11:35 am
Well, let's take this a step at a time.

"Everyone" isn't having side effects and problems. The nature of the forum is that people tend to post when they have an issue - but many, many of us are out here living life without any issues.

Are the results of weight loss worth it? Let's see.

Normal to low blood pressure?  Worth it.
No swollen ankles? Worth it
No chronic foot pain? Worth it.
Cholesterol reading of 140? Worth it.
Fitting in a theater seat or plane seat with room to spare? Worth it.
Not having to take inventory of EVERY woman in a room to see if I am the fattest? Worth it.
Realizing that I no longer outweigh certain NFL or NBA players? Worth it.
Wearing clothes in colors other than black? Worth it.
Buying a winter coat that actually buttons up in cold weather? Worth it.
Playing on the floor with my grandchildren and beign able to get up? Worth it.
Going to the doctor's office and having my weight be a "non issue"? Worth it.
Tying my shoes from a seated position? Worth it.
Better sex because the belly is out of the way? Worth it.
Walking from the parking lot to the office without being winded? Worth it.
Having my underwear fit without cutting into my skin? Worth it.

I could go on and on.

I have had no complications or side effects. I follow the rules set down by my surgeon and nutritionist. I'm not perfect, but know that if I overeat or eat certain foods, I don't feel well. I exercise regularly. I have dumped once - sort of a fluke, and not pleasant, but not a major issue either. I take my vitamins, stay well hydrated, and avoid caffeine and carbonated beverages.

Remember - complications are the exception, not the rule. You just don't see a true "balance" here by virtue of how the boards work.
jandjlove2010
on 3/30/11 11:43 am
OMG! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!  for responding.  You're right all totally worth it!  We are going to start a new healthy life...HOORAY!
Debbie McMahan
on 3/30/11 1:18 pm - SC
OMG I am so happy that I read your post - I needed to hear your positive experiences - I want all of that too.   My surgery is April 11th - I got my insurance approval today and it sort of scared me.  Thanks you so much for posting this today!  BIG HELP!

SURGERY DATE SET!  - April 11, 2011
jandjlove2010
on 4/2/11 10:53 am
We were scared also.  Today is our 1st day home after surgery.  So far everything is going well.  I hope and pray things will continue to do so.  I too was so happy to read everyones post.  It give me a sense of comfort.  Thanks again to everyone for your support and well wishes.We are on our way.
Amy T.
on 3/30/11 1:44 pm - CA
 Bravo.  Well said!   Thanks for the enlightening post! 
Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

Michellem8991
on 3/30/11 11:36 am - CT
Nothing worth having comes without work. I know that I'm a newbee only 3 weeks out but I took a year to prep for this and it was a year well spent. FOr me I could not see any other way. I also feel that at 41 my time is limited. I'm sure that by summer I can ride the roller coaster with my kids. Is it easy no. Is it worth it. FOr me right now Yes very much. I'd do it again in a heart beat. I wish I had gotten sick of being sick and tired sooner.
jandjlove2010
on 3/30/11 11:45 am
Thank you...I am sick and tired of being sick and tired
Most Active
Recent Topics