Leftover chicken making me sick???

Susie A.
on 4/4/11 5:06 am - Palm Coast, FL
3 times in the past 6 weeks, I have woke up around 1 in the morning throwing up. It's horrible, and lasts for hours. The first time, I thought I must of contacted a stomach (pouch) virus. After 10 hours of vommiting I took a phenegren. It worked and I slept for hours (was on a Saturday). 2 weeks after that incident, I woke up with the same thing. Hours passed sitting on the side of my tub leaning over the toilet. I had to call out sick from work this time. I saw my surgeon that same day for my 3 month check up. We went over what I was eating. They (his team) couldn't figure it out. Last Thursday night, I had some left over chicken for a snack around 8pm. After being a sleep for a few hours, I woke up throwing up!! As chicken was coming out of my nose (sorry if too graphic), I realized the common denominater was left over chicken! WTH... I'm confused. How can left over chicken make me so violently ill??  Any ideas???

Starting Weight - 286

birthdaygirl
on 4/4/11 5:11 am - Lithonia, GA
I have never had that issue but my suggestion would be to make sure that after you have the chicken initially that you immediately refrigerate it or freeze it and heat thoroughly when you are going to eat it again...

I ave been told not to leave food out.....especially take-out....i immediately refrigerate it even if I plan on coming back to it in a few hours...

hope you feel better!

HW/293....SW/276....PSW/168....CW/148...GW/150  
Susank505
on 4/4/11 5:28 am - Mt. Pleasant, MI
Not sure if this applies but I found I cannot eat re-heated chicken or other meats.  They go down fine but I throw them up later.  I think it is because they are dryer the second time around.  I could experiment with sauces and things but for now I just dont eat them anymore.
~Susan~    HT 5'6"
HW 278 / PRE-OP 270 / SW 260 / CW 197/ GW 150

WOOHOOO!!!!  I AM 60.8% TO MY GOAL WEIGHT!!!!!
"Be the change you want to see in the World" - Ghandi

Debbiejean
on 4/4/11 5:34 am - Shelbyville, MI
10 hours of vomiting is way too long, maybe something got twisted in your gut.
I'm not a doctor but what I tell people is...if you are in extreme pain and vomiting especially at the 2 hour mark to go to the ER. They can give you a shot for pain, it will relax you and put pouchy at ease. I have had to do this 3 times and I'll be 4 years out April 12th.
It's a good rule to go by. Why stay in pain when there is help for you?
The 2nd time this happened to me I had a small bowel obstruction and was transferred to another hosptial for surgery.

P.S. For the first year I never ate left over foods, the majority of the time it seemed it never set well with my pouch. True, we are all different and you can't compare my incidents with yours but 10 hours of vomiting is excessive. By that time you were dehydrated on top of what ever was causing you to puke. Really, you deserve the best care possible and now you need to teach yourself to set bounderies...what are you going to do the next time this happens?
kristine V.
on 4/4/11 6:46 am - FL
it could be that the chicken is too dry! putting meat in the microwave dries it out like crazy so if that's what you're doing to reheat, it could play a big role in that.
  starting weight: 343 current weight: 273 goal weight: 143
Koko10
on 4/4/11 7:51 am - NC
I agree with everyone else. I'm having the same problem. When I try to heat left overs, other than meatloaf, I get sick, feel queezy, or that funny feeling that says don't eat another bite. I did this with a left over pork chop today.

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

seattledeb
on 4/4/11 2:36 pm
Give your spouse the leftovers!
Chicken is hard enough the first time. I don't do many leftovers. Never chicken.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 67 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views