Which Antidepressant is best for us?

Susie A.
on 4/4/11 10:17 pm, edited 4/4/11 10:18 pm - Palm Coast, FL
I've been on Cymbalta for about 6 years. Lexapro and Celexa before it. My family (grown children) are saying I'm "mean" since surgery. I have noticed I'm very quick tempered lately also. And not very tolerable with anything. My shrink has been weaning me of the Cymbalta. Down from 60mg. to 20mg. twice a day. I see her this Friday, and am going to tell her this isn't a good ideal. What should I suggest to try? I know we all react differently to medications, but I'm game to try different ones, untill I find my fit! Thanks.  

Starting Weight - 286

Penny V.
on 4/4/11 10:43 pm - Orleans, MA
Only your doctor knows best. I am on Citalopram (generic for ?Celexa?) and it works for me.

Maybe your dose is too low. Why are they weaning you off? Maybe you need to continue taking it.

Carla M.
on 4/4/11 10:48 pm
RNY on 02/21/11 with
There is no mental health medicine that works for everyone. Your best bet is to talk to your doctor and find which one is best for you. It might take a couple before you find one that works.

Pattis70
on 4/4/11 10:49 pm, edited 4/4/11 10:49 pm
I take cymbalta 90mg a day I have no issues with it. I have been taking it for about 5yrs and its seems to be working for me.
The best thing is to talk to your doctor that prescribed the medications for you. Let him/her know your concerns.
Be proactive in your healthcare!!
Patti            
lee12197
on 4/4/11 11:42 pm
RNY on 02/28/11 with
Hi there! I just wanted to let you know your not alone in the mean department...everyone and everything has been making me mad beyond belief...my dr just put me on zoloft 25 mg yesterday...dunno if its enough to do anything or if i even abosrb it all but we shall see! Hopefully it helps cuz i go back to work on the 12th!

Mary C.
on 4/5/11 2:15 am - Glovertown, Canada
Not that it's funny that people are saying you are "mean" - but it did make me smile. I am much less tolerant of ANY bull*hit in my life - at home and at work. Maybe it's the surgery, maybe it's just getting older. In any case - about the meds - it's a balancing act and trial and error I think to find what works best for you! Good luck!

birthdaygirl
on 4/5/11 4:30 am - Lithonia, GA
Well, I have always been a "*****"....side effect of low self-esteen from years of battling obesity I guess!..........I also married and birthed 10 kids back to back so post-partum depression and anxiety and added on weight did not help either..

I am taking Celexa 20mg.....pre-op it helped and eventually I was taken off...since surgery I relapsed andd when doc gave me Celexa 20 mg again I developed increased anxiety...so I went down to 10mg.....My temper is short too but also I will be 40 this year, and as we women lose weight the massive amount of weight loss and fat storing hormone estrogen being released causes radical emotional roller coasters...

I have developed acne after 25 years and for the first time in my life  I have been battling insomnia so I am only nightly sleeping meds!.....hopefully it will all balance out...just takes time!

HW/293....SW/276....PSW/168....CW/148...GW/150  
Susie A.
on 4/6/11 11:15 pm - Palm Coast, FL

Thanks for all your replies! I do think a lot of my moods are hormonal also! It sucks getting older!

Starting Weight - 286

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 27 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 293 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views