Gross Question for women regarding periods

needtoloseweight
on 4/7/11 1:55 am - Oxon Hill, MD
Is it normal for my first period to be sporadic?  I only bleed for one trip to the bathroom.  It started about a week ago. I went to the bathroom and there was blood so I figured it was my period since it was overdue.  I put on a pad and a tampon because I figure it would be heavy but there was no blood after a couple of hours. The next day still nothing so I stopped wearing the pads.  A few days later the same thing happened again.  A day later still not blood on the pad.  Now it's been a whole week without any blood and today I get bleeding again.  Is this normal?  I am 6 weeks out from surgery. I haven't had any cramps but I have been pretty nauseas for the last week. I can't tolerate any foods except grapefruit, oranges, hummus and crackers. Even drinking makes me a little queasy. Should I be worried about this?

tcunningham
on 4/7/11 2:19 am - Bay Minette, AL
If it keeps doing this get checked out, but it could be hormones or your body's reaction to surgery.  The body does some crazy things.  I know mines was going off the day of surgery and came back on full blown after surgery. 

Timeka
needtoloseweight
on 4/7/11 4:32 am - Oxon Hill, MD
Thank you

Karen O.
on 4/7/11 10:13 am - Weirton, WV
YES!!! It's completely normal... Anytime I have a weight loss (significant - like over 20 lbs) - my periods get all crazy... spotting when I shouldn't be, longer periods, shorter periods, heavier bleeding, light bleeding - and then within about 3-4 months, it evens out and I'm back on schedule - every 29 days! Weight loss can cause hormonal changes - which can cause changes in your period. Call your OB/GYN to be sure, and let them know you've recently had a rather significant weight loss due to gastric bypass - but I'm sure they'll tell you it's fine. If it continues for more than a few months, they may put you on some type of birth control or estrogen just to get you back on track. At least that's been my experience.

Hope it works itself out for you!

~Karen
HW - 340   SW - 320 (3/15/11)   CW - 225   GW - 150       
dani02
on 4/7/11 10:42 am - Utica, MI
Mine was very abnormal for me and very sporadic. So I believe that this is normal. The nausea is something I tend to get when I eat gluten. So I have to watch my diet really close. Drink smaller sips of water.
Best of luck to you

Dani

needtoloseweight
on 4/7/11 6:30 pm - Oxon Hill, MD
Thank you Everyone for the replies.  I was getting worried that maybe something was wrong with me. 

Most Active
Recent Topics