Be Careful What You Wish For

David F.
on 4/7/11 12:05 am - OH
I have been very fortunate that my weight loss journey has been trouble free, and having lost 133 pounds as of today, since my surgery of November 5th, it has certainly been a success. (And will be for you too!!!). But last week, I thought it would be nice to start losing less weight each week as I begin to lose the final 15 pounds I have to go to meet my goal weight. It was my thought that in slowing down the weight loss, it will make it easier, and less risky, when I move from actively loosing weight to maintaing my weight (a stage that scares me to death for fear of failure)..

So all this week I was of the mindset of NOT wanting another 4 or 5 pound loss....THAT IS, until about 15 seconds before I jumped on the scale. At that moment I went back to wanting as many pounds to come off as my diet and exercise would allow. I was bummed that I lost only 2 pounds this week, and yet I believe it is probably for the best long term..

How do you balance this desire to lose, and lose quickly against losing weight in such a way that is better for your long term goals and health..

Thanks..David

Lorrainecma
on 4/7/11 12:42 am, edited 4/7/11 12:47 am
First let me say WTG on the weight loss!!!!

I'm not there yet, but good luck with that.

I too need to have more patience as I flipped the scale off yesterday morning.
cptprkchp
on 4/7/11 2:12 am
In my own experience, my weight loss sort of took care of itself.  I did what I was supposed to do and my body eventually made the decision that "ok, this weight is good- no more".  It was much lower than I even thought but apparently my body knew what it was doing.  I did what I could to get any preconcieved numbers out of my head and just go with the flow.  It's totally not easy but saved my scale from being tossed out the window, bashed with a baseball bat, flipped off, sworn at, cursed out, stomped on, slammed into the wall, dipped in acid, and simply thrown away. 
David F.
on 4/7/11 3:38 am - OH
Kind of a "Whatever will be will be" approach...Thank you for your reply..David

Lady Lithia
on 4/7/11 2:17 am
You figure it out David, you let me know. I'm freaking delighted with the scale going down, even though intellectually I know I'm already underweight. I don't diet, I don'****ch my calories, but if I'm not home eating every couple hours (as I have been doing the last month) I don't do a good job of maintaining...the scale keeps dropping, and mentally I know it's bad, psychologically I am thrilled.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

David F.
on 4/7/11 3:37 am - OH
Thank you for your response. I hope your recovery from your recent surgery is progressing well..David

paranoidmother21
on 4/7/11 4:23 am - Lake Zurich, IL
David, I'm in the same boat as LL. For some of us, our body just rejoices in the ability to fling weight away like dandruff.
And then, to top it all off, our own history of weight loss difficulties predisposes us to thrill over loss and regret gain - even when the opposite would be more appropriate.

Keep reminding yourself that you are working at slowing, you've reached an appropriate spot. It's another head game, like the one where you feel like you're still obese but everyone says you're skinny (and in reality, you are on the thin side if not actually skinny). It takes a long time to get your head in the right place, and it won't be there every day.

Hang on, you'll do it.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

David F.
on 4/7/11 4:54 am - OH
Thank you Rebecca for your words of encouragement and advice. I looked at your pictures in your profile..wow!!! you have done great...David

Most Active
Recent Topics