doesn't feel real

melissa22886
on 4/6/11 10:05 am
surgery is 6 days away and it still doesn't seem real to me. it still feels like next week is going to be a regular work week and nothing going on. did anyone else feel like this until the day or 2 before surgery. when did it hit you?
cajuntjm
on 4/6/11 10:10 am - Greensboro, NC
It probably really hit me about 3 days before surgery.  I wasn't really nervous, just anxious.
Good luck to you! Keep us posted.

Teresa

deborahgalek31
on 4/6/11 10:12 am
It hit me when my surgery date was given to me.  I was a wreck!  When you tell ppl you are getting this surgery, you hear nothing but this, "OH...I know someone who got that and they died/almost died/went into a coma/lost a little, but gained it all back/etc".  So, I was forever thinking "Why am I doing this?  What will happen to my daughter if I do die?  Is it really worth all this work if I'm just going to gain it back?"

But then, I think of my 2 sisters and sister in law who have had this exact surgery and have been tremendously successful (6, 2, and almost 1 year out).  They did lose alot and gained a little bit back, but they've been sitting at their weight now for a long time.

Now that I'm 5 weeks out, I feel good about everything.  It seems I healed fast inside and out and my vitamin absorption is very good.  Right now it feels as if I didn't have the surgery at all and it was some kind of dream:)

Good luck to you...and don't forget to pack your lip balm and cell phone!

Live Long and Prosper  \ V / ,
Debbie
Cherylkas
on 4/6/11 10:14 am - PA
 It hit me the night before. And not really in a bad way I talked it out with hubby and was fine...nerves came when they were setting me up with IVs the next day but it was way to late.
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

ladyquenn
on 4/6/11 10:16 am - WV
After nine years of trying to get the surgery, the week before I kept thinking that my insurance was going to change their mind and cancel it. I also had a couple of nightmares that I got sick and they canceled it and I had to start everything all over again.
Teddi J
We have just enough religion to make us hate,
but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift                    
NIXMOMMIE
on 4/6/11 10:20 am - NC
when the receptionist called me and asked if i would be ready for surgery on the 30th.  I was like, sure.  Then I realized it was 8 days away, I was a wreck.  I worked the weekend and told a few people and mondy morning when I got off I was like OMG, I will be in surgery this time is 2 days.  I was a mess until I woke up screaming in pain.  When I woke up I had awful abdominal muscle spasms.  i have them all the time prior to surgery, never gave them a second thought with going under the knife.  it was agony.  You willl be great.
nfarris79
on 4/6/11 10:23 am - Germantown, MD
 I'm totally there right now! I had my anesthesia & pre-op appointments. I feel like guarded optimism but that  I should be more excited or happy or nervous.... I'm just weirdly calm. Surgeon said I was still missing biopsy results from my ulcer (upper GI) so PISSED at my GI dr office that they STILL haven't sent that over, but she said nothing that it would be a deal-breaker holding up surgery. Just found out that I have to be at the hospital at 5:45a. Meaning I gotta leave home at 4a!! Ugh. Well, I get to sleep when they knock me out. 
On the good side, found out they'll take the drains out before I'm discharged and I'll likely only be admitted for 36 hours or so.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

melissa22886
on 4/6/11 10:40 am
tomorrow i go for my final PAT's and meet the anesthesiologist. I think that may be when it'll be reality for me. I would go into your GI's office and request the results there instead of waiting. My surgery is 9:30am on the 12th I have to be there by 8 and leave at 645ish.
bankgirl
on 4/6/11 10:40 am
I don't think it was real for me until I woke up from surgery and was brought to my hospital room! It's all worth it though!

Most Active
Recent Topics