Sugar question

sherri7794
on 4/6/11 11:32 am
My doc's rules are 10 gm or less of sugar in a meal/snack.  I am wondering does sugar alcohol count toward that also?  If so is it counted the same way?  

Lady Lithia
on 4/6/11 11:43 am
Since sugar alcohols act as a laxative, give me STINKY gas, and cramp me up, I definately treat this in the total.... in fact, I recommend keeping sugar alcohols to below 3 g

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

sherri7794
on 4/6/11 1:15 pm
Thank you Lithia.  I am glad you mentioned the fact they act as a laxative.  I had something the other day with sugar alcohol in it and needless to say.....Though at the time I didn't realize that was why.

lorilea
on 4/6/11 12:58 pm - MN
According to my NUT, you should count half of sugar alcohols as sugar.  So if something has 20 grams of sugar alcohol, you would count it as 10grams of sugar.  But you also need to be careful to determine how much you can handle, some people get really sick with sugar.  I don't push any limits when it comes to sugar and sugar alcohol. I don't even want to know how much is too much for me and that keeps me away from sweets.

sherri7794
on 4/6/11 1:16 pm
Thank you.  I have been wondering about this because many times I will see something that claims to be sugar free only to find that it is loaded with sugar alcohol. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 225 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics