Hey YOU! CHEATER!

birthdaygirl
on 4/8/11 4:54 am - Lithonia, GA
On April 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM Pacific Time, Lady Lithia wrote:
You know the whole "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" 

"Cheater, Cheater, Bad Food Eater" (best I could do, feel free to improve upon it)

I really LIKE this post. I think I never felt guilt pre-op for what I ate, and I don't feel guilt now when I eat inappropriately... I just tell hubby I've been pigging out (to which he rolls his eyes) and that I'll now gain a million pounds (more eye rolling)

I try to OWN my behavior. I am the first to admit that I didn't get where I am by trying very hard..

I think everyone needs to GET this post (not read it because a lot of people don't just "get" something by reading it once)
I agree with you 100% Lady Lithia......If I never developed co-morbidities that were hereditary on both sides of my family which one was diabetes, I probably would have never had RNY because I too never felt guilt pre-op for what I ate because I love good food and love to cook...

I too don't feel guilt now when I eat what I want and enjoy in moderation because I still love to eat and cook food but more healthier

You are right everyone needs to take heart this good post and own up to every choice that is made post-op because we all react differently post-op...for example I am not a dumper but every now and then when I indulge in too many carbs say around that TOM I may have an episode of RH but I have to own up to the consequences that follow

I agree with Nik...that does not make you a "Cheater"...she wants us to be "accountable"

HW/293....SW/276....PSW/168....CW/148...GW/150  
Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/8/11 5:07 am - Baltimore, MD
Accountable yes...but going deeper than that...OWN what you do.

I'm not going to like any of you less if you go on a Dorito and ice cream binge. But you might like you less for doing so. So instead of worrying about what Nik (I am using myself in place of any number of people you could insert) thinks, feels, judges, etc., consider how YOU feel about how you behave and treat yourself. That's far more important.

I treat myself all the time (probably a bit too much). But I own it. I know what my personal limits are and I'm working to stop acting like a teenager trying to sneak out for a make-out date.

It's food. It's MY food. If I want to eat it, I eat it. Conversely if my eating it makes me feel bad about myself, I need to deal with that too. But I don't need to be putting anyone else in that equation.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

birthdaygirl
on 4/8/11 6:29 am - Lithonia, GA
On April 8, 2011 at 12:07 PM Pacific Time, Cleopatra_Nik wrote:
Accountable yes...but going deeper than that...OWN what you do.

I'm not going to like any of you less if you go on a Dorito and ice cream binge. But you might like you less for doing so. So instead of worrying about what Nik (I am using myself in place of any number of people you could insert) thinks, feels, judges, etc., consider how YOU feel about how you behave and treat yourself. That's far more important.

I treat myself all the time (probably a bit too much). But I own it. I know what my personal limits are and I'm working to stop acting like a teenager trying to sneak out for a make-out date.

It's food. It's MY food. If I want to eat it, I eat it. Conversely if my eating it makes me feel bad about myself, I need to deal with that too. But I don't need to be putting anyone else in that equation.
well spoken Nik!....I  agree but what is the difference between holding yourself accountable for your choices and OWNING it?

It may be Friday that I am happy to see or I am missing something...you don't consider the two the same?...I mean if I take accountability for any negative food choices, eating binges (I honestly don't have them anymore) but they were damn fun pre-op, I must admit...hehehe.....is not that OWNING what I do?

can we take a poll on how many people eat Doritos and Ice Cream?...lol........now that sounds like a pregnancy meal to me!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/8/11 6:42 am - Baltimore, MD
Accountability can go either way. It can be:

"I ate a cookie. Good Lord I am addicted to carbs! Someone please flog me!!!"

Accountability while OWNING IT can look like:

"Yes, I ate a cookie. It was 100 calories and I enjoyed it very much. I made room for it in my eating plan, so it's all good."

See the difference?

In example 1 the person is blaming some mysterious carb addiction monster and looking to OTHERS to modify their behavior. Example 2 is a person empowered to own their choice and do what they have to do to MAKE that choice.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

birthdaygirl
on 4/8/11 7:01 am - Lithonia, GA
On April 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM Pacific Time, Cleopatra_Nik wrote:
Accountability can go either way. It can be:

"I ate a cookie. Good Lord I am addicted to carbs! Someone please flog me!!!"

Accountability while OWNING IT can look like:

"Yes, I ate a cookie. It was 100 calories and I enjoyed it very much. I made room for it in my eating plan, so it's all good."

See the difference?

In example 1 the person is blaming some mysterious carb addiction monster and looking to OTHERS to modify their behavior. Example 2 is a person empowered to own their choice and do what they have to do to MAKE that choice.
Okay, I see the difference!...........now that makes sense to me!............Thanks, NIK you always come through....................enjoy your weekend....

Oh, I forgot to post...I made your creamed beef recipe that day  you posted about it and it was delishhhhhhh!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/8/11 8:31 am - Baltimore, MD
That was pretty damn yummy. If it wasn't meatless Friday I'd have some for dinner!

jazzycatz
on 4/8/11 4:59 am - Joppa, MD
  Love it. 

I am only just over 6 months out, but I still feel a sense of panic on those big pouch days.  But if I take a deep breath I realize I just had 2 days where I could hardly make myself eat anything.  And even big pouch is still within guidelines.  Still a protein focus, still watching the complex carbs. 

And I am dealing with a husband who feels guilty if he is wanting something I no longer eat (for whatever reason...intolerance, choice, don't like it anymore..)  then I feel guilty because I don't want him to feel he can't get things I don't eat, so I feel like I should just try to eat it and have only a little.  It's a vicious cycle.  So sometimes I find myself in the position of not wanting to cheat but having to fight for it.  Seems so odd and twisted. 

Also printing this out and putting it up.  Might help him as well to see where I am coming from. 

Thanks Nik. 
siberiancat
on 4/8/11 10:40 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Huge hurdle to overcome to stop blaming others and being responsible for our (my) own actions, words, behaviors, thoughts, beliefs, etc.

Yep, my life is so much better since I've learned that lesson.  Sometimes I stop and ask myself "how will this make me feel - is it wise?"  Often I decide it is not wise, not an emergency, life will go on, etc.  Sometimes I decide to wait for 10 min, or one day and see if I still feel the same way.  I often don't and realize it was just a momentary "thing."

Great post.  Lately some threads have irritated me and I decide it is best if I don''t give my 2 cents.

If I ever have such a post - please come on and let me have it, pleas  e.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

gizmo113
on 4/8/11 12:39 pm - Camby, IN
 I'm really really glad you posted this! 

I am still a newbie post-op but it BLOWS MY FREAKING MIND when I get on here and read what some of my fellow newbies eat. I know everyone has different plans... but geesh! 

When I first got home from surgery I HATED my surgeon's plan. I'm on full liquids for a month. Then pureed for a month. My list of foods to eat is different from some but pretty strict. I would read other newbies and get so jealous of what they were able to eat and seemed to be tolerating. I'm not so bitter anymore now that I'm reading some of them having the problems that they are having. I'm by no means saying it is because of what they are eating... I'm no doctor... I'm just pretty happy that my energy is going up and my pouch has been well behaved. "Do unto your pouch as you wish your pouch would do unto you"... right?!? 

I won't cheat this. I've cheated myself out of some many years and memories because of my weight. I'm really glad you posted this!!!!

Follow me on my blog!!! www.fittingmethin.blogspot.com

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 490 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 537 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 253 views
Recent Topics