Liver Reduction Diet?

jennytmitch
on 4/10/11 10:49 pm - NC
I started today.  A shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch, and something light for dinner.  Any suggestions on things to keep it from being so monotinous? Also will this really work quickly to reduce the size of my liver?  I have surgery May 2nd.
Lady Lithia
on 4/10/11 10:58 pm
Some say it will help, and anything that reduces the amount of fat inside your intestinal cavity is HUGE

I might munch on cucumber if I'm really needing something to satisfy when not eating the allowed foods. It has very little calories, is light, cool, fresh, and if you're me, delicious.

I never had to do the liquid diet before hand (I didn't carry my weight in my middle, and had lost 57 lbs pre-op)

Good luck..... it's tough, but you'll get through it

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/11 11:23 pm - Boston, MA
I did it for 2 weeks, I had a shake for breakfast and lunch and then 4oz of meat and a can of veggies with a tsp of butter on it for dinner everynight.  I got a little tired of chicken but other than that I was fine, not too many cravings.. I did cave and eat a few pickles =) I lost 25 lbs in those two weeks and my surgeon said my liver was tiny.

good luck, you can do it!
nfarris79
on 4/11/11 2:20 am - Germantown, MD
 I have/had fatty liver pre-op and had a pretty stringent pre-op liquid diet. I found chicken broth & s/f ice pops were my saviors. My surgeon said my liver was "acceptable" size now and have surgery tomorrow am.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

CarolinaJerseyGirl
on 4/11/11 2:44 am
It apparently does reduce the size of your liver. Besides 3 protein shakes /day I was able to eat all clear liquids and full liquids. If I needed to chew I could eat low carb veggies and during my 2 week pre op period I could have 3 oz. of chicken/turkey or fish once each week. I lost 9# on the 2 week pre op diet. Having said that, each surgeon has their own pre op diet so you'd best follow what you've been instructed to do.
Sandy  

Karen T.
on 4/11/11 12:41 pm - Canada
I have to start my liquid diet May 2 for 4 weeks.  I can only have sugar free jello, broth, sugar free drinks and sugar free gum.  I don't know how I am going to do it.  I just know I have no other choice.   I was under the impression that, that is why I am doing this liquid diet to shrink my liver?
Good luck with your surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 297 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views