Ladies!? That ' time of the month' at surgery time

Momx4kids
on 4/14/11 5:38 am - Abbotsford, Canada
I think I might get my period around the time of my surgery, does any one know if that makes any difference? Should I tell my surgeons office or just the hospital the day I go in??  I have never had surgery before when that 'time of the month' strikes.....Thanks!
Rhonda
gochristy1971
on 4/14/11 5:56 am - CA
I had my period when I had my surgery.  When they asked me to get into the hospital gown, I just told the nurse and she said it was fine...they'd handle it.  Just let them know at the time if you are, so they know when they go to put your foley in.  I've read it's pretty common to start early even, due to the blood thinners they put you on.  It's nothing they haven't dealt with before!  Good luck!
Christy
Weights: Surgery 317 Current 242 GW ???
Momx4kids
on 4/14/11 5:57 am - Abbotsford, Canada
Thanks!
Angie B.
on 4/14/11 6:07 am - Seaside, OR
  It's really, really common and the nurses are used to it.   I finished my period 3 days before surgery and started again the day after surgery.  It happens to a lot of people even when their period isn't due.  I did take my own pads, I don't think I would have been able to contort enough to use tampons right after surgery without a lot of pain and I didn't want to use the pads they give you. 

HW 321// SW 278//CW 168
Momx4kids
on 4/14/11 6:10 am - Abbotsford, Canada
Thanks for that advice, I'll stick to pads if need be.
poet_kelly
on 4/14/11 6:18 am - OH
Just tell the nurse when you check in at the hospital.  It's no big deal.  They are used to dealing with it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/11 6:26 am - SC
I was on mine Tuesday when I had surgery.  I just let them know.  I will warn you that the heparin injections seemed to make mine worse.  They are used to dealing with it though so it's no big deal.
Karen O.
on 4/14/11 7:45 am - Weirton, WV
I got mine the day before surgery. You won't be the first - and not the last! The doctors and nurses are totally used to dealing with it. They'll even give you fantastically stylish mesh panties - they don't have anything on Victoria's Secret! PLUS! You'll be on pain meds after your surgery, so you won't feel it if you have any cramping. Bonus.

It's totally normal and won't affect surgery at all. Just let them know when you go in for your surgery.

~Karen
HW - 340   SW - 320 (3/15/11)   CW - 225   GW - 150       
ArmyWife7806
on 4/14/11 9:27 am - Wheeler AAF, HI
Yea, I had my period a week before my surgery then I started again the day after surgery. They just gave me those stylish mesh panties and gave me a pad. The nurse said it's common with the heffrin injections. Good Luck, if you don't want to take your own pads, they have pads they can give you.

~Mandi
Mommy to Talan & Aden. Proud Army Wife to Dustin 
HW:306 SW:275 CW:191 GW: 135-145 ish 

Carebearny1999
on 4/14/11 9:54 am - Rochester, NY
I recommend taking extra undies (preferably cheap ones--I tossed mine when I changed LOL) and extra-super absorbent pads as the blood thinners seem to make it worse. Didn't change a thing for my surgery!
Most Active
Recent Topics