Boils & Skin Tearing

asmallerme2day
on 4/15/11 12:23 am - NC
Currently I'm on my Pre-Op diet( 5 days away for surgery). and I noticed that I have a cluster of boils under my belly and a 2cm skin tear on ther other side.

Is this common to have durning the pre-op liquid diet.I've been putting neosporin on the skin tear. But the boils are still there?

help?
Sheila Thompson        
Brenda S.
on 4/15/11 12:43 am - Champlin, MN
I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the pre-op diet.  When I was younger, I would get boils on my stomach and my doctor said that it could be stress related.  Any how, I would definately make sure to talk to your doctor about it, have them look at it and make sure that the skin irritation is documented.  This will possibly help you out later on if/when you decide to have any plastic surgery done.  The more documentation of skin problems, the better when it comes to getting the insurance to help pay for plastics. 

Good luck on your up coming surgery!! 
asmallerme2day
on 4/15/11 10:38 pm - NC
Thank you for responding!
Sheila Thompson        
Carol M.
on 4/15/11 2:13 am - TX
You need to contact your surgeon's office right now and tell them what is happening.  Then you need to see your PCP immediately for treatment.  If it is a boil, and most are caused from a staph infection, you need to start a course of antibiotics.  I don't know what your surgeon will say, of course, but I would think there would be a very cautious approach to doing abdominal surgery with current infection and skin tears in that area. It could set you up for unwanted complications.

JMHO
Carol , East Texas
asmallerme2day
on 4/15/11 10:46 pm - NC
Thanks!
Sheila Thompson        
Carebearny1999
on 4/15/11 2:17 am - Rochester, NY
Gotta agree with Carol. They are NOT likely related to the pre-op diet but not taking care of them NOW may throw a wrench in your surgery plans.
cajungirl
on 4/15/11 2:18 am
Take Carol's advice and call your family doctor.  Boils are staph related so a course of antibiotics is necessary before you have surgery.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Meg_S
on 4/15/11 3:14 am - Natick, MA
I agree that you need to let your doctor know and he/she will want to take a look. In the meantime, try hot compresses several times a day to bring the boils to a head and get them to drain.

Highest weight = 272, surgery weight = 240, goal weight = 135   

asmallerme2day
on 4/15/11 10:47 pm - NC
Thank you so much. The hot compresses really worked.
Sheila Thompson        
SoulLips
on 4/15/11 6:42 am - Cloverdale, CA
I agree with the folks who said you should talk to your doctor immediately about these issues.  I found that tea tree oil (100%... not diluted products) would help boils heal within a few days.  I would apply it with a cotton swab to clean, dry skin at least 2 x per day (either just after showering or after using alcohol to clean the area first).  Just a warning though, tea tree oil has a fairly intense medicinal smell. 
Start weight: 306   Surgery weight: 282   Current weight 199.5

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 236 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 102 views