ugh... maltitol is bad too? This is getting frustrating

psx chelly
on 4/15/11 5:23 am
I been trying to watch the carbs, because I was told that and the PCOS combined might be whats effecting my weightloss.  So... in a quest to find something that tastes decent, I found "ThinkThin" gluten free protien bars.  I bought 3, each a diff flavor.  Ate one, it was sorta good, but way better than the Atkins ones.

They each have 20g protien, and 0g sugar... 2g net effective cabs.  The back of the package even says its safe for Diabetics to eat.  But now i read that - maltitol - is just as bad as sugar?  Is that right?  Why is it bad if its safe for diabetics and low carb diets?  Did I waste another 8$ on bars I will have to give away in the office?

Lady Lithia
on 4/15/11 5:26 am
I always look on the label to see how many sugar alcohols.... if more than 3 g, I consider it "of the devil" and do not eat it.

if I do eat more than 3 g sugar alcohol..... I better plan to be on my lonesome because the GAS is like something crawled up inside me and died.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

psx chelly
on 4/15/11 5:35 am
Maybe I should watch net Sugar AND net Sugar Alcohols ??

im only looking for an alternative to the protien drinks.  I feel like i might be getting sick of them already, and I dont want that to happen.  looking for alternatives is rough.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/15/11 5:38 am - OH
A lot of the protein powders also have sugar alcohols in them...  you have probably been comsuming them and did not even know it.  Look at the contents.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/15/11 5:37 am - OH
The sugar alcohols (and there are probably close to a dozen of them) are not just as bad as sugar" from a dumping standpoint, but some people are sensitive to them.  Not everyone reacts badly to sugar alcohols, though. 

I did have to watch them very early out, but was ok with moderate amounts of them by a few months out.  Now (over 3.5 years later), only very high amounts bother me at all.  Of course, it also takes a lot of sugar to make me dump...

There is NO reason for you to give the protein bars away.  Just try a small amount of the protein bars to see how you react and increase the amount slowly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics