Dumping?

ceruleanme
on 4/17/11 3:07 pm - CA
 So, I've heard all the horror stories about dumping... and, to be honest, I hope I'm a dumper because pre-surgery I was a big sugar addict, and as a diabetic, I need all the help I can get avoiding it!!

My daughter turned 10 Wednesday, and I made her cake like I do every year. As I frosted her cake, A glob of the frosting hit my finger, and just, force of habit, I ate it. Probably about a teaspoon maybe a teaspoon and a have of pure sugar and butter, with some vanilla and milk! Much to my surprise, I didn't get sick. 

This has left me wondering- how much food does it take to cause other people to get sick? I'm not planning to tempt fate again, I just want to have a better idea about how this all works.

Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 4:00 pm
I dump like crazy, but even on my most sensitive days, a teaspoon of frosting won't do me in. TWO teaspoons might, and a tablespoon, definately.

In general my guideline is to keep sugar grams to single digits, unless some of them are in yoghurt and naturally occurring lactose. I can't handle the sugar in plain milk, it makes me dump, but I seem to be able to handle it in yoghurt. So....single digits except yoghurt, and the yoghurt has to be below 15 g, or I dump.

I also watch carefully for fat/sugar combos.... six grams of SUGAR and a hefty load of fat will set me off without a doubt.

I can't do fried foods either, not only do they make me feel icky, but too much and I dump (onion rings in particular)

When you said you "didn't get sick" I wanted to clarify also that MILD dumping to me, which means I'm pushing the envelope, is an elevated heart rate..... if I go beyond that it is sweating, racing heart, feeling of doom adn gloom... like I'm really sick, but not with pain, just a feeling like I'm sick.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

rayjack12
on 4/17/11 9:43 pm
For the most part, I don't dump.  I was hoping that I would as I love sweet things as well.  Now, mind you, I have never had a major amount of sugar.  The only thing...I can tell when I'm starting to have too much sugar as my heart rate will go up as well...then I know to cut off the sugar intake.  I think it would take a large portion of sugar to go the full episode.  A teaspoon of sugar would definitely not do it for me!
lynnc99
on 4/18/11 3:19 am
Hope I'm not going too far off track here but wanted to reply....

THe question may not be whether you dump, but how you respond when faced with those old habits.

The week after my surgery, I had to take a desserty type thing to a church function. I bought some nice cookies to take. Got them to church and realized I"d gotten too many....Now in the old days, I would have eaten about 4 cookies while arranging them on the plate, and taken the extras "home" - but eat them in the car. Kapish?

That day, I was faced head on with having to come up with a plan for those extra cookies. I gave them away to a family with teenage kids, but the "head work" of realizing that I would/could have downed them all....well, that was one of my first pre op "moments" if you know what I mean.

The same things face us when we bake or cook for the family, when we want a little somthing to munch on when out doing errands, or...whatever. After 22 months, I know that my old habits are lurking around the next corner, waiting to trick me into my old ways. So whether it's cookies in the car or a glob of icing....be very careful not to let those habits take over again!

I have heard time and again from veterans in my support group - don't test the limits. Don't open the Pandora's box. Be as vigilant as you can, especially in the early phases, because this is your opportunity to relearn and reshape your eating habits. A glob of frosting obviosuly didn't kill you, but you never kow what the threshold is, and certainly don't want to depend on dumping alone to control or define your new eating patterns.

Best of luck to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics