Don't want to lose my hair

MrsFreund
on 4/18/11 5:15 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I have decided to have the surgery after months ans months of back and fourth. My Dr. says mid may. I'm so scared to lose my hair. I have hair down to my butt and i love it. I see people post on here about having to buy wigs and such. I would just die. I ordered lots of biotin and zinc. I was told these two supplements help the hair loss. Any suggestions.
Vanessa B.
on 4/18/11 5:19 am - Evansville, IN
I did lose som,e hair immediately postop but not so much as to worry about it. I take the biotin still every day and I do believe it helps, but I think the most important thing is to get in your proteinn. It's a struggle immediately postop but it gets easier as time go along. Good luck with your surgery!
Vanessa 
happy, healthy and in love with my RNY!
Beginning weight 277/Current 129/Goal 145

MsColorado
on 4/18/11 5:20 am
I lost a bit of hair (extra shedding) between 4-6 months out. No one besides me even noticed. I'm 9 months out and my hair is good as new. The weight loss outweighs any hair trouble. Vitamins will not stop hair loss -- they only help your body regrow the hair when it's ready.

MrsFreund
on 4/18/11 5:22 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Thanks a lot. I'm thinking of getting a good hair cut to be sure my hair is very stong. I have a friend that had surgery 6 years ago and her hair is so thin its scary.
MastoDon
on 4/18/11 5:27 am - Los Gatos, CA
I think you'll probably hear from a few folks out here who will recommend one commercial preparation or other (like Biotin?) to stave off hair loss.
I noticed my own hair loss starting at about two months post-op.  At about three months post-op, I thought I might have to do something about it, so I started taking fish oil capsules twice a day.
I have no idea whether the fish oil worked (or whether Biotin works, either), but I can tell you that now that I'm ten months post-op, I am no longer losing hair.
I'm pretty sure that there's nothing you'll be able to do about it (other than not have the surgery).  But I'm also pretty sure that the situation is temporary and it will correct itself within six months of becoming noticeable, whether you try various remedies or not.
Good luck.  And... just my opinion... even if losing a lot a weight meant that you had to become totally cue-ball bald, it would be worth the loss.  Get a wig for the interim.

Learning to swim was easy.  The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.  Those rocks were heavy.
High: 310    Surgery day: 282     Goal: 190     Current: 178

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 5:28 am
I'm currently experiencing the hair loss... it usually the worse when I take showers.
I'm good at taking my protein and vitamins, so I think I may go on a Biotin hunt soon.
Karen O.
on 4/18/11 5:28 am - Weirton, WV
I'm only 5 weeks post-op - but for me - my hair has GROWN 2 inches since my surgery! That's unheard of for me. Everyone has a different experience. Some just experience some thinning for a short amount of time. Some don't lose any! Getting protein and vitamins in will help A LOT! Just follow the plan and you'll be ok.

Eggs - high in protein, high in biotin - BONUS! Lesson: get proteins in!

~Karen
HW - 340   SW - 320 (3/15/11)   CW - 225   GW - 150       
MrsFreund
on 4/18/11 5:44 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Thanks everyone. I literally just got off the phone with my hair dresser. Who is also a long time friend and she told me to not even worry. She said if we have to cut it short she will make me fabulous. And she said if I want extensions she will do them for free. I feel much much better. I'm still hoping that I don't have much hairloss. It scars me to death.
Susie A.
on 4/18/11 5:45 am - Palm Coast, FL

The hair loss is a natural process with our surgery. I started taking 5000mg. of Biotin every day 1 month pre-op. I am now 4 months post-op, and am losing hair. I have never had issues getting all my protein in either. No one will probably notice our hair thinning, but we sure do. It only lasts a while, then starts to grow back. That's where the Biotin comes in that you've faithfully been taking!

After I  washed my hair last night. I looked at the drain guard, and almost cried, even though I've  been prepared. It's shocking!

PREPARE yourself. And know it will grow back.

The weight loss and awesome health benefactors outweigh the shedding!

Congratulations on your decision,  and good luck with surgery! Keep us posted.

Starting Weight - 286

Kim S.
on 4/18/11 5:56 am - Helena, AL
No one wants to lose it, but most of us accepted that risk and realized the restored health from weight loss far outweighed hair loss.  Mine started at 4 months and kept going until around 1 year.....I had very thick, pin straight blonde hair--and it is very fine.  I lost probably 1/2 of it.  Most people would never know I'd lost hair though--I kept  it layered and shoulder length. 

I took all the supplements and my vitamins and always got my protein.....none of that helps PREVENT loss....it all aids in REGROWTH.  If you are gonna lose it, you are gonna lose it.  Period.

Maybe now is a good time to cut your hair shoulder length and donate your hair to locks of love?  As you approach your new body, why not try new hair?? 

Embrace whatever the journey gives you--there are always solutions.  I'm approaching the 2 year mark and my hair is finally back to pre-surgery thickness--and my butt is 120x smaller to boot!!

Kim

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 350 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 109 views