backing out

immafatgirl
on 4/21/11 4:47 pm - KY
the more i read about complications, the more i want to back out. i mean i am so scared to suffer. of  course i suffer with my weight and health now, but i just dont tolerate pain very well.
my mind screams out, walk,run,exercise. my body just says no i hurt. im feeling quite lost in my decision right now.. im a strong person and ive been through alot. but i think this surgery will top the cake . so to speak. about how long does the agony last before you actually feel normal. can ppl please give me a summery of how they did the first 6 weeks out. please be honest. i want this and most days im so positive, then BAM!! all of a sudden, i just dont know.
flyingwoman
on 4/21/11 4:58 pm
Normal is a real conceptual thing. I don't think I have ever felt, nor really will ever feel "normal". WLS didn't change that.

At six weeks out, I felt great, I'd dropped about 50 lbs, my energy was renewed and I was totally motivated to take on the world. I was having a little trouble incorporating solids, with some occasional puking because of it. I have a tight pouch in the mornings, and I think a stoma on the smallish side, so I really have to watch the way/what I eat, but no regrets, at least so far (knock wood).
Cookietea
on 4/21/11 4:59 pm
I am 2 months out.  I have to say my RNY which was done laproscopically went very well.  All my other surgeries were done open and this one was so much better because they didn't cut any muscles.  Sure there is some soreness but it is after all major surgery.  I stayed with a friend for the first 10 days but did my walking and drinking without any major problems.  I didn't even take any meds for pain.   My problems came when it was time to take meds.  I take 4 capsules a day and had trouble with them getting stuck in my pouch.   I finally figured outif I took them with a protien drink I didn't have that problem.  I did run into throwing up problems when I started on real foods.  I tried to eat the amount I was supposed to but it was too much.  I read on OH that when your nose starts to run, that means your pouch is full.  I paid attention to that and for the most part I am fine.  I am 58 years old and have lost 40# since surgery.  I would do  it again.
mdolan20
on 4/21/11 4:59 pm, edited 4/21/11 5:00 pm - Brick, NJ
Hey girlie! If this is something you really want for your health then you kind of have to put it out of my mind. If you think too much then it is so scary!! I'm 9 days out....When I woke up out of anethesia I felt an ache all over...it was like that even with the morphine for the whole 1st day I was in recovery but it wasn't unbearable...I wasn't tearing or anything like that. After that every single day has gotten so much better. The second day, it hurt to get out of the chair or bed and to cough. Almost like you worked out muscles you never did before except you baby yourself more cause you know you just had major surgery. Also, I had to focus on breathing,...to much talking left me breathless. Also, my back hurt from not being able to be on my side but I've always been like that. By day 3 and 4 I was starting to get bored in the hospital so you know I was feeling better lol Finally went home. A cane was a huge help. mom had one around from my grandmother. It just gave me support when sitting and standing out of a chair or bed. By one week out I was easily doing these things myself. And today I did laundry, cooked and did dishes. Also, I haven't been on ANY pain meds since Day 3 even though I have percs I haven't felt the need to use them. However, they CONSTANTLY asked if I was in pain...and to rate it. They are there to make you comfortable. and...i feel the same about excercise lol but I'm hopeing not to in the next few weeks! I hope I've helped...Good luck :) ooh PS: No probs so far with swallowing meds or getting liquids or proteins in...I start puree next Wed.
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

wendy3223
on 4/21/11 5:03 pm
 Not gonna lie to you...I was miserable for about 3 days... :)  That was it!!  sure, a little sore, and got a bit frustrated in the first few weeks because of the learning curve and boredom with liquids, but i could've easily gone back to work the second week, and I was running around with my toddlers after a week...

The pain, honestly was not bad at all...everyone has a different pain tolerance level, but I would do it again in a heartbeat even with the amount of pain I went through.  Before you back out, make sure that the pain (what little there may be) is enough to stop you from doing what you want and or need to do for your health and happiness.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide

missjann
on 4/21/11 5:07 pm
Fears are normal, but don't let fear alone keep you from moving forward.  Most of us have spent a good part of our lives doing that. Obesity is isolating.

I too had fears, but I made my decision and ignored the "head talk".  Surgery was a breeze.  Sure there's pain, but the incisions are like any cut...give em 10 days and they're largely healed.  Every day is one day closer to taking off the band-aids.  A few days of discomfort is nothing compared to the surprise, joy and life-altering changes ahead.  Be kind to yourself, give yourself time to heal and adjust and REST and focus on sips of water and protein and vitamins....a new regimen.  You'll do fine.  I had chicken get really stuck twice...much vomiting and discomfort....but that's it. I've done well...no food issues, no vomiting, no intestinal issues....nothing to write home about....except the 59 pounds I've lost in 4 months. Diabetes has vanished, high blood pressure- gone, cholesterol in good shape and no more bottles and bottles of prescriptions. I have the energy of my teenage daughter and I feel like a billion bucks.  All that in 4 months!

Now, rewind to the part where I could have let my fears hold me back. Add in a heaping dose of diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, aching joints, complete exhaustion and the very real possibility of not surviving to see my grandbabies grow up.

Only you can decide what is right for you, but don't let fear make your choice.

Good luck.
skabets112
on 4/21/11 6:08 pm
I had my lap RNY Jan 11th of this year...so about 3.5 months ago. I'm down 64 lbs and I think it was the best decision I ever made (aside from kids and hubby). I was in the hospital for 6 days total (1 day pre-op and 5 post op), as that's policy here in Germany (my hubby's stationed here). When I got home, I was still a bit sore from the gas. I was on no pain meds after day 2 post op. I did have a lot of gas, and felt very uncomfortable for about a week and a half 2 weeks after. However, as soon as the gas worked itself out, I felt WONDERFUL! I understand your concerns, however, I thought of it this way, if I didn't do the surgery, I was going to suffer more and more with each day/month/year I was pretty much slowly killing myself because of all the extra weight. I had no co-morbidities, but I knew it was only a matter of time before I'd be as blessed as I was. The risk of complications was worth it to me, as I wanted to be able to not jus****ch my children grow up, but be an active participant in their lives, which I was far from before, don't get me wrong, I'd do things "with" them, but it was me watching them doing. Now, I actually get involved in their activities

The decision is only yours to make, and no one else can make it for you. Praying for you during your decision time!

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me"  Phil 4:13

hazelnut6
on 4/21/11 7:23 pm
I think giving birth to my children was worse agony ten times over than this.  You're getting yourself worked up into a frenzy and really do not need to.  It really is not that bad!  The only "agony" I had post-op was the gas pain for the first few days, but the more I walked the halls in the hospital and the more I walked at home...the less painful it became and the quicker it went away.  It was nothing worse than gas pain...because that's what it really is.  By week 2, I feeling feeling really good.

I've had complications but not everyone has them...everyone is different.  Despite my health situation now (with the pelvic organ prolapse - not RNY related) I feel fantastic!!!  Better than I have felt in many many years.  Physically I have tons of energy, I don't hurt as much, I can breath better and I sleep better (because the apnea is gone).  Mentally, I have so much more self-confidence and I take pride in taking care of myself.  I feel good and people say I look good which is a great ego boost!!

I absolutely have no regrets doing my RNY and I'd do it all over again if given the choice.  Whether you lose weight through diet and exercise or you lose it through surgery (with diet and exercise) it doesn't matter....it is ALWAYS a lifestyle change in order to be successful.  The surgery only gives you the tool to do it.  It's up to YOU to do the actual work.

Consider seeing the psychologist for some more counseling.  Take a deep breath and decide your options.  It's your body, your decision.  But don't over-react over what others say...you don't know what your body will do...you will never be like someone else's recovery. 

I wish you the best in whatever you decide!

Pamela S.
on 4/21/11 7:55 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
That's probably the best thing to do. You have to be in the right set of mind to do this and be successful.
DebsGiz
on 4/21/11 8:14 pm - FL
In response to a couple of other recent posts, my response below:

Just my thoughts...

I genuinely believe that you really have to view what  you read on OH with perspective and give consideration to context.

Though there are certainly side topics, for the most part OH is a support forum where many come for advice.

This being said, I believe that much of what is shared here is shared by those folks who are either having a difficulty of some sort, or have had difficulties, and are either looking for advice or wanting to share their experiences.  Consequently, I sometimes think that much of what is shared here can give the impression that a large number of people have problems with WLS when this is simply not the case.

Most people that have WLS do fine, and as a result, I don't think they are posting here to the extent that those looking for answers do; consequently, I sense that the reality of WLS can become skewed and, as a result, it can promote a sense of fear.

Keep in mind that if the majority of people actually had problems with WLS, most people, myself included, would opt out of having it.  

I know there are many people who have had problems, and I know there are people who have actually died from WLS surgery; however, I personally have never met anyone who has had a problem, nor do I know of anyone, personally, who has died.  

Every medical procedure and drug poses a potential risk to someone, and WLS is no different.  Sadly, there are those that are not going to do well, but for everyone of those, how many more are going to be saved from an almost certain untimely death as a result of obesity?

To me, it was worth the risk and I have absolutely no regrets.

Anyhow, again, just my rambling thoughts... 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 432 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 163 views
Recent Topics