How much weight loss is normal?

ceruleanme
on 4/25/11 4:07 am - CA
 It's been 45 days since my surgery, and I've lost 45lbs.  I have been losing a pound a day, consistently, for the last 3 weeks....

I wasn't expecting to lose this much weight this fast. Is this typical? 

Price S.
on 4/25/11 4:15 am - Mills River, NC
It son't last forever, and you will wish you were back to losing a pound a day, lol. 

Actually, we are all different and you should just follow your plan and you will be fine.  Oh to be back to the pound a day phase for just a few more days. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Rose G.
on 4/25/11 4:16 am - AK
I did that for two months, then it slowed to 10/mo. I'm not sure what is "normal" though. I imagine it will be different for everyone and depends on where you started and how much you have to lose- how much exercise you get in and your micronutrientand macronutrient balance.

johnsoca
on 4/25/11 4:17 am - Madison, AL

Some people lose faster, some slower.

Your weight loss will slow down. You will have periods where you don't lose any weight at all and even (gasp!) gain a few pounds.

Enjoy the rapid weight loss while it lasts!

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/11 4:18 am - TX
I lost 38 pounds in 45 days or so and have been at a dead halt for a week! I expected it to stop but am happy I got that much in before I did.
Ladytazz
on 4/25/11 4:40 am

The first time I ever lost a large amount of weight I was 21 and I just went on a low calorie diet.  I lost about 80lbs in 4 months.  I loved it.  Everytime I stepped on the scale I showed a loss.  I wi**** were that way now.  I fight for every pound.  Enjoy it while it lasts.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/11 4:54 am - Boston, MA
I have lost 51 lbs in 57 days, I've had 2 "stalls" one for 13 days and one for 5 days.. if you want to call them stalls!! I'm just enjoying it while it lasts because I know it will slow sooner or later!  Good luck to you!
Lorrainecma
on 4/25/11 6:05 am

Wow,
What's the secret? I've lost 23 lbs in the last month. I'm sooo envious. LOL

Lora

Shereeangel
on 4/25/11 6:15 am - PA
My initial wieghtloss at two weeks after surgery I lost 33 pounds...since then I've lost about 20 more and am 3 months out it's very slow for me....I'll lose 5 pounds stall for a couple of weeks then drop another 5 pounds...its frustrating.  I've heard of others that lost weight (a pound a day) quickly but that hasn't happened for me I'm 3 months out. 

BobbeJoJo
on 4/25/11 10:04 am
There is so much to consider. 

I have gone some days being scared that I have lost too much too fast and then other days when I am mad that I have stalled.  I have more days that I am mad at a stall. 

For a long time I thought I was the slow poke among people who had surgery on or around  2/15/11 and then I talked to someone who had only lost 25 lbs.  

It's different given your age, your level of activity, water weight ups and downs . . . I have noticed that men lose faster than women but women eventually catch up. 

I don't think it's that unusual to lose a pound a day -- I did that for awhile.  

I try so hard not to compare my weight loss to anyone else's.

I have hit stalls and then out of the blue lost 3 lbs -- I don't know how or why that happens!  

I usually weigh myself in the morning. 

I have even had a couple of days that I regained weight (1 to 3 lbs) and then lost it a day later.

I try to tell myself that the slow and steady weight loss is best because it gives your skin a chance to catch up. 

I hope that helps.

I am 10 weeks out tomorrow and have lost 37 lbs.  I am pretty happy with that but impatient to lose more.

Best wishes, 

Shannon 

Highest weight: 331 (4/13/10), Entered Bariatric Program: 320 (9/7/10), Pre-Surgery Goal: 310, Day of Surgery: 307 (2/15/11), Current Weight: 171 (5/12/12). 5'5". I am overweight now!
Most Active
Recent Topics