Absolutely scared TO DEATH!!! HELP!!!!!

j_brooke
on 4/28/11 12:27 am - TX

I just got approved for my RNY yesterday! I know surgery is approaching in a few weeks its just not "officially" on the books yet. Let me cut to the chase............................................................... 

I AM SCARED TO DEATH!!!

On one hand, I know how lucky I am to have this opportunity to be blessed with great health insurance when so so many Americans do not have it. I feel very fortunate to be able to have this opportunity and even get approved for it!

On the OTHER hand though, I am scared out of my mind! I wonder if I’m making the right decision. I have 3 children... 15, 11 and 8. I cannot imagine doing anything to myself that might jeopardize my welfare where i may decease. I cannot even think about leaving them without a Mother. But I always think worse case scenario too & I think most people do not think that way.
I had a friend on here that had surgery a little over a week ago, she went in and I havent heard from her sense! That freaks me out!!

I know I NEED this surgery more than anything. I am really trapped inside of a fat body, this isn’t me. When I loose weight....THAT will be ME! I am tired of the constant struggle with my weight for the last 12 years.

Someone PLEASE help me feel good about this! Anxiety is through the roof! I am terrified!

AM I NORMAL?????????????????
(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 12:32 am
It's very normal to feel this way.
I had (a well meaning) friend tell my boyfriend that they had a friend who died 3 weeks after her surgery and that I may die too. He freaked out and told me therefore freaking me out 2 weeks before my surgery date.

I almost didn't go through with it and was willing to pay the $2,500 cancellation fee.

I did go through with surgery and I'm 4 months out today and making very good progress (and as you can see i didn't die!). I feel so much better and do not regret my decision at all! I'm more active, my clothes fit better, i'm not as sick as much as I used to be... I feel like i'm a brand new person!

I'm confident you will be absolutely fine. Just follow the plan and do what your doctor says and you will be successfull.
prettygirl24
on 4/28/11 12:36 am
I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and I felt the EXACT same way! I am a wife and mother of two young sons, 3 and 1 years old. I went back and forth about having this surgery for years because I was scared that something would happen to me during or even after this surgery, but then I thought about dying because of a weight-related cause as well. After thinking about it, I decided that it was important for me to lose the weight by whatever means necessary for my children and I am convinced that I made the right decision! I was terrified up until the moment I was put under, but when I woke up and everything was ok that was the last time I ever thought about being scared. I promise you that everyone goes through this, but you just have to think about your future! I knew that if I decided not to have this surgery then I would spend the rest of my life struggling with my weight and probably dying trying to lose weight. It will be ok, just have faith in your doctor and faith in yourself. It is worth it and so are you!
TxSuz
on 4/28/11 12:36 am
I had my surgery 2/26/2011, I too had the same exact feeling about being scared to death of leaving my kids! As a matter of fact I was tearing up as I was being pushed into the operating room. Ahhhh and here I am to tell about it YAY!!! It was all worth it! All I can tell you is I would do it again!
 -Suzanne

MultiMom
on 4/28/11 12:38 am - NH
YOU ARE NORMAL!!!

I don't know what your BMI is, but have you considered the death rate of being morbidly obese? (thus the word "morbid").

I was scared also, and would be worried if I wasn't. Everything went perfectly for me and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Trust in your Dr and your decision to do this as an informed person.....breathe!!!!

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

cajungirl
on 4/28/11 12:39 am
Yes it's normal to go through all these emotions.  You have a great Dr. with lots of experience in Houston have faith in his surgical skills.

All surgeries have risk.  Morbid obesity and comorbidities have risk also. 

I had surgery in Houston with Dr. Wongsa in 2005, it's the best personal decision I ever did for myself and my health.

Good luck and congrats on your approval. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

SONIA1415
on 4/28/11 12:42 am

Hi,

I also had alot of anxiety going through this procedure but you have to really believe that this is the best option for you. As we all know, being overweight is very bad for your health and can lead to many problems in the future. I am a very anxious person to being with and I went through this procedure and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought. It actually was OK.  I had the lapband done twice because I was terrified of having the gastric bypass and for being a much less invasive surgery, the recovery was worse for me than the gastric bypass.

I had an OPEN gastric bypass surgery on 2/22/11 and when it was over, I couldn't believe that I was so afraid to do it.  I may have been fortunate, I know that I had a great surgeon, but really it was well worth it.

Good luck and GOD bless.

j_brooke
on 4/28/11 12:54 am - TX
Thank you all for your replies! You have no idea how much better it makes me feel to hear about your individual stories. Although different in some ways, you all have one thing in common, that I also hope to have in common with you is that YOU MADE IT THROUGH THE SURGERY OK AND YOU ARE GLAD YOU HAD IT!

It really eases my anxiety about this surgery hearing from you. I am confident I do have a good surgeon. Its so hard to jump when your not sure where your gonna land. Does that make any sense? I know I will most likely land, Im just not sure where and the "unknown" is what I am so terrified of. Thanks again. Please keep the stories coming, I find great comfort and strenght in them!
immafatgirl
on 4/28/11 1:18 am - KY
i am enjoying your post so much . im having surgery also and i feel so much better when i hear these stories..
(deactivated member)
on 4/28/11 3:09 am - Santa Cruz, CA
None of us know what is going to happen in the next few minutes;  you could be hit by a car, slip in the tub and break your neck, get stung by a bee. 

Neither can we predict the outcome of a surgical procedure;  we can only trust that we have chosen a professional who is determined that he will provide the absolute best service to his client (you!)

Don't worry too much.  the surgical complications rate is vanishingly small.  

Put on your Big Girl Panties and take a deep breath and go for it.  Your healthy future awaits!  
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 346 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 302 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics