Calcium and Constipation

Kingschild
on 5/7/11 1:31 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Does anyone know of a way to take calcium citrate that won't cause constipation?  I ended up impacted a couple of months ago after I started taking it everyday.  The bummer is that I felt so much better taking it.  I ended up going on Milk of Magnesium and that got me regular again...but I did stop the calcium.

Thanks! 

Mysti
RNY-May 2008
Then:  275 lbs. 
Now: 180 lbs.

siberiancat
on 5/7/11 2:15 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
What do your labs tell you?  How long have you been off calcium?  You body has to have it and will "rob" it from bones and teeth.  You may have a problem.  Have you had a bone density done?

ASMBS says RNY patients need 1500-2000 of Calcium Citrate daily.  I take 4 doses a day and take 400 mg Magnesium Oxide (cant be mag citrate) with every dose of calcium to help with  constipation.  I also use Benefiber, probiotic, fresh fruits & veggies daily for fiber.   Stool softners am and pm and drink 100+ oz fluid daily.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

JudiJudi T
on 5/7/11 2:33 am
Yep, what she says ... add enough Magnesium to counteract the calcium.  I take two a day and 2 stool softeners.  

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

mickeypal
on 5/7/11 5:26 am - Tell City, IN
I use stool softner every day, but is not helping.  So should I use Milk of Magnesium daily, too?
Surgery 3/1/2011

Michael P.
on 5/7/11 7:40 am - Gladewater, TX
get your dr to give you a prescription to amitiza 24 mcg twice a day you will go then i had s anal fissure and you dont want one trust em so get the amitizia
MIchael

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 480 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 403 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 164 views