JUNK JUNK AND MORE JUNK!!! My MIL is killing me!!!!

afrog777
on 5/12/11 10:49 am - Houston, TX

Ok My mother in law is in the process of selling her house and has been living here for over 2 wks and she will be here at least another 2 wks.

The problem is all she eats is JUNK! There is so much junk in my house it is killing me! After I had surgery I got ried of everything and that stuff has not been in my house since. It is so has to resist! Im breaking...I didn't lose any weight this week and its b/c I have been sneeking a little bite here and a little bite there! And she cooks old school style so thats ever more fat (I have been staying away from her cooking and eating a lot of salads)

I cant do this!!!!! Pls help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

purr
on 5/12/11 11:01 am
Tell her your taking control of your house , if she wants to eat the junk keep it in her vehicle. And get her the hell out of your kitchen , seriously nobody cooks in my kitchen but me. :) Seriously sit her down and explain that she is compromising your health.

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/11 11:01 am - NY
ask her to put her stuff in a bin in her room, or to keep it in her car. Good luck, I know how you feel, my hubby has cheese doodles in the house, LOVE those, but I have stayed away-for now.  On Mother's Day I asked my son to take the sour cream onion chips outside and he didn't so I ate one. Its so hard, especially when its around.
immafatgirl
on 5/12/11 12:52 pm - KY
hang in there. if she wants to be unhealthy .let her..
dont fall because she should care enough NOT  to bring that crap in.. thats just mean.
JudiJudi T
on 5/12/11 2:33 pm

It's easy for people to say just stay away, harder to do.  I make my husband keep all his snacks out in the garage.  If he brings some in and leaves them in here, I'll be into them.  So I understand.  I would tell her that it's too hard on you and you'd like her to keep her snacks in her room.  She can bring them out to eat them but then they have to go right back.  She should understand and if not, try getting your husband to talk to her. 

Your house, your rules.  That goes for how your family eats too - her cooking is probably touchier to deal with though.    Especially when she feels she is helping.  

Best of luck!

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

Pamela S.
on 5/12/11 8:46 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
How inconsiderate of her. Just sit her down and in a nice way tell her how you feel.
ncmdgirl
on 5/12/11 9:12 pm
Wait a second. Didn't you agree that she could stay with you?? If she eats junk then so be it. She didn't have RNY and she is not worried about her diet. Did she throw all your healthy items in the trash???

I ask this because you are acting like she is shoving the stuff in your mouth. Yes we are all recovering food addicts but seriously at some point we are going to have to woman/man up and just do what's best for us. Practice some will power. My mom comes to stay with me for 2-3 weeks at a time just to hang out and she is from the south and cooks just like Paula Deen. But she knows after a day or two of indulging, she will say, "you're not gonna eat this stuff anymore are you?" I say no and she says, "I am so proud of my baby and your grandma would be proud to" - all while she is stuffing her little cheeks with fried cornbread (my favorite).

To hear her say that is so reassuring to me that I can do this no matter what. So with a kind heart I am saying, take a step back and continue business as usual. She will be gone in a couple weeks and everything will be back to normal.
Just a few more steps to wonderland......and believe me I am taking baby steps (ugh).

Pamela S.
on 5/12/11 10:08 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Let me put it this way. When I'm visiting/staying at someones home, I'm very considerate of the people I'm staying with, their heath problems, the programs they watch, etc. There is a happy medium here, but it is your home.
aseg21
on 5/13/11 7:18 am - Miami, FL
It's been best for me to follow the old "catch more flies with honey" theory when it comes to situations like this. I've pulled aside MANY people and said, oh my gosh - this food looks amazing and I would LOVE to have a huge plate of it, BUT I can't. I made a committment to really getting healthy and cutting all this delicious stuff out of my diet. It's so hard for me and it would really help me if you'd try your best to encourage and support my not eating like this. 

If there are a couple trigger items for you - let her know. For me, just seeing a container of Pringles makes me drool and if I had one in the house I'm pretty sure at some point, they'd be in my mouth. Most people are aware that the kindest thing to do is to not bring it into my home. If you explain it to her and try to get her on your side - I think it would go much better. Good luck!

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/13/11 7:21 am - Baltimore, MD
Start sabotaging her food. Seriously.

"Ooops...did I drop those Doritos on the floor and then STEP on them??? Clumsy me!"

"OMG...I accidentally knocked over a whole thing of salt in your greasy _______ (fill in the dish), how could I be so careless???"

Or at least as you are feeling tempted to eat the stuff...think about doing that. It might not help but it'll at least keep you from getting too mad