Family and Friends don't want me to have RNY??

gracie5
on 5/13/11 4:02 pm
Thank you soooo much for the reply,I think you are right! 
seattledeb
on 5/13/11 3:52 pm
You can tell your daughter when she asks "why don't you lose weight the way "normal" people do"..that most "normal" diets have about a 98% failure rate.

This is something you get to do for yourself. There is much misinformation about this surgery out in the world. Maybe your family would be open to education/information..but ultimately you are doing this for you and to be a healthier member of the family.
Deb T.

gracie5
on 5/13/11 4:08 pm
Thank you for the  reply, and I agree with you about misinformation, thanks for the support means alot!
Janine P.
on 5/13/11 4:10 pm - Long Island, NY
Jealousy and their hatred for Change

They're going to feel jealous that you're making progress and improving yourself.
Also, people hate change, period.

Stick to your guns and do what you want to do.  In the end, you're the only one you have to answer to and you'll be the only one who was responsible for making yourself happy.

Best of luck to you!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

gracie5
on 5/13/11 4:20 pm
Hi-you know that thought crossed my mind but I just don't want to think friends or family would be that way, I'm going to have the surgery  for myself and hope that they are supportive, thank you so much, the best to you also!
mrkbeatt
on 5/13/11 6:18 pm - Glendora, CA
you are right to do it for your self but still try to teach them why you are doing it like show them the other things you have done and the other medical issues that you have. like for me i had diabetes sleep apnea and i was eating too many calories 5000 to 5500 a day so it made it hard to lose the weight now it take in 1500 a day now

Lori W.
on 5/13/11 6:12 pm - Russellville, MO
So far the only member of my family who has said anything negative about me have this surgery is my little brother. After several heated text messages back and forth I finally told him you don't have to approve of or like what I'm doing  but I really would appreciate your support.  Sadly he hasn't spoken to me since but I have the support of every other member of my family and all of my friends who know I am doing this. I am doing this to be a happier healthier me and for my son.
Lori

C J
on 5/13/11 10:18 pm - Franklin, MA
Perhaps they're not supportive becuase they're not-educated in RNY, encourage them to tag along withyou to your appointments, offer them some reading materials.

I didn't tell many people - just my immediate family and to them I simply said.... I'm not looking for your opinion or approval, just your love and support as I make this journey.  THere is a lot to go thru pre-op and the real work begins post-op, this is not a free ticket.

You should attempt to surround yourself with positive enforcement thru this board and find a local support group or two.
I've been declared a slow loser - and couldn't be happier!!
 I  can,  I  will.  

avidreader
on 5/13/11 10:48 pm - Cary, NC
1.  You do have to do this for yourself - you live in your body and in your skin and only you know what you can handle and tolerate - only you know what it's like to live your life and what you need to do to make the changes.

2.  I have never understood how family/friends can act so concerned over our weight, ride our backs about losing, tell us we are not healthy or we would be so pretty if we lost weight - but then freak out when they find out about WLS ( let me insert here I had nothing but massive support from my family, friends and coworkers, thankfully)!!!! 

3.  I can only come to the conclusion it is several things:  ignorance of the procedures and the great advances in medicine, jealousy because things will change, jealousy because you actually have the nerve to tackle this thing head on do something about it and also they are frightened of the changes that will happen and frightened your relationship with them will change.

Good luck!

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
jenna F.
on 5/13/11 11:38 pm
 I think a lot is being scared and also not understanding what it is like to be morbidly obese. I have had a few friends have a RNY or band since I had my RNY 9.5 years ago and I support the decision they make but I don't ever suggest this surgery to anyone. Actually now I ask people to try Visalus first, you dont ever want to think back and say what if.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 285 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views