Family and Friends don't want me to have RNY??

gracie5
on 5/13/11 2:49 pm
Can anyone tell me why some family and friends are not supportive??
wife2denizmoi
on 5/13/11 2:54 pm
Sounds like they may be scared? Scared that something will happen during surgery? Scared that onnce you are thin you will leave them in the dust and do your own thing? Its hard to say. For some, food is love, so its harder for them to understand that for a fat person, food is addictive and really should only be thought of as fuel.

-HeidiG (Wife2denizmoi) 

gracie5
on 5/13/11 3:17 pm
Thanks for reply, I never thought about what you said,but maybe they scared that something will happened during surgery, my daughter said "why don't you just lose weight the way most people do??" My husband doesn't really open up and talk about it.
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/11 7:17 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Honey, if diets worked NONE of us would have done, or would be having, this surgery.  I spent 45 years of my life being on every diet one can make up, and everything came back time after time.

This is for your health, your life, and your future.

Go for it if you want to do it. 

Complications do occur;  very very very seldom. 

Good luck.

immafatgirl
on 5/13/11 3:03 pm - KY
my mother is begging me not to have it and it breaks my heart to put her through this . but she looks towards the negative instead of the positive. she is like that with most everything, i have to do whats best for me . she will see when its over , how much better i can feel.. i have several other family members who say , your not big enough for that surgery . or
you have smoked most of your life and you will die . or what if you can not eat and you suffer form malnutrician . its never .
im so happy for you , i hope this makes you feel better .
i have no support at all from any family member , except my cousin and thats because she is getting hers to .we have each othe r. but u have to just block them out . they just love you and worry , so they worry you to death about it . lol
gracie5
on 5/13/11 3:23 pm
Thanks for reply,some family members also said same thing"your not over weight enough?? Thanks so much for support, I wish you the best too!
EAP-Fan
on 5/14/11 7:47 am
EAP-Fan
on 5/14/11 6:22 pm
Hi, I only told my husband, daughter, sister, and a friend that went to Mexico with me to have my RNY. reason being is exactly what your dealing with right now, I didn't want to hear all the negative feedback, I also smoked for 45 years and quit one week befor surgery, because of the horror stories  and the neg feedback on this forum, I am glad I was able to stop they scared me smokefree!! LOL! I lasted 6 weeks not smoking wihich was also the best thing for the healing process. I am only 3 mo's out and 40 pds down, It seems much longer,

You need to do this for yourself and only for your self. I fought the weight battle since the age of 10 been on every diet one can think of, I wanted to finally win the war, the battles were getting tougher the older I got.  I'm. 55 and I would have done this 20 yrs ago, had known they had it available, which they did, however the tect today has gotten so much more advanced that I wasn't to worried.

I  had a great recovery, I was up and walking 3 hrs after surgery, that is the best thing you can do for yourself as well, get up and move, I have never had the pains some here talk about,   I was good to go. after the drain was out that is.

The reasons I went to Mexico was one 1. I smoked and 2. I didn't need to loose over a hundred pounds, I needed to lose 80. The Dr. here is the US was an ass! (sorry) I walked out of his office 4 yrs ago. My girl friend took her daughter to Mexico to Dr. Rodriguez, he was awesome, great surgen heard so many great things about him. I hope you have a great recovery as I. As for the fam they are just scared for you, Listen to your dr, and people here who have been threw it personally, this is a great place for any and all information and advice you will need. Good Luck and God Bless.
immafatgirl
on 5/15/11 5:20 am - KY
i enjoyed reading this . but its also sad when you say you were treated better in mexico, then you were anywhere else. im not saying mexico is wrong . its just sad when you have to go somwhere else because the ppl close to you act like idiots. im glad you got your surgery, im glad you got thru ok and im glad you did so well. awsome awsome story ........ 
mdolan20
on 5/13/11 3:32 pm - Brick, NJ
I waited until about 2 weeks before surgery to tell my immediate family and didn't tell the others until I was safe and sound at home. It's mostly because they love you and they are just scared of the unknown and the horror stories they hear.  Can you take them with you to a meeting or to an appt to ease their fears. Also, I sent them positive posts from here about how it changed people's lives and it seemed to put them at ease. At 5 weeks out everyone is happy :) Good luck!
Melissa HW:350 SW:333 CW:234 GW:128

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 60 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 258 views