Diabetes resolution?

kimtres
on 5/14/11 3:55 pm - Doha, Qatar
Hi, all.  I'm wondering how anyone with diabetes was taken off the meds.  Was it cold turkey or a slow wean?  Was it done by your surgeon or another doc?  At how many weeks out were you?

I'm at 4 weeks post-op and my diabetologist doesn't really know much about the surgery so we're kind of finding our way in this.  I've been removed from all oral meds and am using Lantus (10 units) and a sliding scale for the Novorapid.  My morning sugars are around 200 and the rest are fluctuating between 170 and 270.

Would you share your experience please?  Thanks a ton!

Kim

P.S. Yes, I know I should post on the Diabetes Board but there is little activity there.

ahmerzrealm
on 5/14/11 6:30 pm - Naperville, IL
ahmerzrealm
on 5/14/11 6:30 pm - Naperville, IL
I was taking Lantus 3x a day. Two weeks after the surgery I was off of it. I stopped cold turkey and experienced no issues.

Give it some time, some people take a bit longer to get off the meds. Give yourself at least three months.

angieh299
on 5/14/11 9:57 pm
I stopped taking mine a few weeks ago. I am 8 weeks post op. My sugars went down to 111 in the morning and were a 6.2 A1c. I see my endocrinologist next week to see if he wants me to do a small dose of metformin. I hope not though!

avidreader
on 5/14/11 10:14 pm - Cary, NC
I am 3 years out.  I was on 2 500mg tabs a day for 5 years before my surgery.  I NEVER went back on the meds after my surgery and my A1Cs have been terrific at every lab drawing.  I do check my sugar level once in a while when I feel "off" but my numbers are always great.  This was one of the major reasons I had the bypass - and it worked!!!  (Sometimes I ***** my finger and check my blood just to see the low numbers - truely amazing!!)

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
Paula R.
on 5/14/11 11:01 pm - White House, TN
Hi- I'm 3 weeks out from surgery.  Prior to surgery I was on Metformin 1000 twice a day, 4mg of glimeperide and 90 units of Lantus at bedtime.  I know---it was alot!  Anyways, after surgery, I had an endocrine consult in the hospital.  They told me no more oral meds---YEAH!  I now take 40 units of Lantus in the morning and I'm on a sliding scale of Humulin-R.   For the last few days I haven't had to take any of the Humulin.  I have to e-mail my blood sugars to my primary doctor about once a week.  It seems I am needing less of the insulin every day.  I'm hoping with more weight loss, I'll need less insulin.  Good luck to you!
Anna M.
on 5/15/11 12:16 am - Manchester, NH
I was on 500mg metformin twice a day before surgery.  I went in on Monday and while  I was there my sugars were constantly between 90-100 so I was discharged and told not to take the metformin anymore.

I was also told to monitor my sugar at home 4 times a day and so far it's been between 84-107 consistently.

I follow up with my PCP this week, but she is confident I am done with the metformin.

* Starting weight: 383 * Day of Surgery: 363 * Ticker includes weight lost pre-op *
SugarGrl
on 5/15/11 1:06 am
I had been taking 1800mg of Metformin for about a year before surgery.  The day I was discharged from the hospital my surgeon came in to tell me that I could stop taking it.  They had been checking my sugars during my stay and they were normal.  I went cold turkey and never looked back!

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!  LET'S GET HEALTHY!     STARTING WEIGHT 211.8, SURGERY 23 MAR 11; ONEDERLAND 30 MAR 11 199.2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Carol M.
on 5/15/11 10:46 am - TX
Before leaving the hospital I was taken off all diabetes meds except for 1/2 of a 500 mg glucophage daily.  I have since stopped that since my BG is averaging in normal range.
Carol , East Texas
Jeanne190
on 5/15/11 11:45 am
Kim,
I was on an insulin pump and using Humalog.  I was pumping in 10 units an hour and giving myself extra insulin injections and my sugar was still high!  After surgery my surgeon told me my sugar was 300 during surgery and they'd given me some insulin.  He gave me options but, told me he thought I'd be better off not using the pump or any meds and just letting my sugar come down naturally.  I did just that.  I haven't had insulin or any oral meds for diabetes since the day of my surgery.  It slowly came down....250, 230, 210, 180, ....it came down week by wee****il now it's normal for me to wake up to 80 and sometimes I check after a meal and it's 120 or so.  I'm elated!  I feel so much better now than I did before when I felt I was always on a sugar/insulin high! 

Hope yours keeps coming down too!  It's wonderful not to feel so dependent on anything!  Best of luck to you my friend!
Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.  ~Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Letters to Lucilius

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 67 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views