protein question from someone who should know better

Amy R.
on 5/14/11 11:51 pm, edited 5/14/11 11:52 pm
Is it possible to "overdose" on protein?

I know that ALL extra calories are stored as fat, regardless of their source and I'm not talking about that. I'm wondering if you can actually HURT yourself by eating too much protein in one day. Not even talking about *sustained* eating of loads of protein. Just talking about, say, if you ate 300 grams of protein in one day. (I'm being a little extreme in my example, but my question is totally serious).

This is gonna sound really weird, but I've had to considerably up my protein levels and it has been REALLY hard for me because I normally hate the shakes and most of the bars. But I found a new way to make shakes that I actually love, and I still had some of those evil Oh Yeah! wafers left over. Yesterday I think I got in almost 200 grams of protein if I counted right. Totally unintentional, but it's pretty much all I ate yesterday - was totally craving the stuff.

Anywho - little help?

ETA: oh, and are shakes and bars considered slider foods? what is actually considered "dense protein" other than meats? I know I should know this by now.....
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/15/11 12:12 am - OH
I have never heard any warnings about too much protein in one day.... just consistently high protein intake.  I'm not sure how much of a daily load of protein it would take to cause strain on the kidneys, though.

Yes, shakes would be considered a "slider" since it is just a thick liquid, but the protein bars would not.  It it would slide through a funnel, it is a slider food.  Some of the protein bars (like the Pure Protein ones) I would acutally consider a dense food, because they really do sit like a rock in your belly.  The only thing that I can think off of the top of my head that *I* eat routinely and would consider a dense protein (other than meat, poultry, and most fish) would be hard cheeses and my cinnamon roll protein bars.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amy R.
on 5/15/11 12:20 am

:ears perking up: 

Cinnamon Roll protein bars?  Who makes them and where do you find them?  Can't do one more bite of chocolate-flavored bars.  Not one more bite!  Found a couple that are non-chocolate but it's been a challenge.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/15/11 12:27 am - OH
Well, here's a link with the details and nutritional info, but be warned... these are high in calories and carbs (but I can only eat 1/3 -1/2 at a time anyway because it is VERY dense)... and should be considered a treat with protein (although I do periodically have half of one and half a banana for breakfast when I am craving a doughnut)!  You heat it in the microwave for  about 15 seconds, and it gets soft and warm...

www.bodybuilding.com/store/lab/cookieroll.html

Lora

Amy R.
on 5/15/11 4:21 am
Thanks for the link Lora.  How did you learn about them?

You can bet I'm gonna be careful with ANY new protein bars/wafers after my Oh Yeah! experience.  My tummy still hurts just thinking about that day, lol.     =)
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/15/11 6:35 am - OH
One of  my bodybuilder friends had mentioned them (there is also a brownie flavor) and then I saw it at Vitamin Shoppe.

Lora

Lady Lithia
on 5/15/11 12:12 am
I know that Vitalady does something like six protein shakes a day in addition to food and is currently like 90 pounds soaking wet.

She honestly believes, I think, that the protein itself will never make you fat. It's the carbs that do people in.

I think that if you have a very high protein rate (200+ grams) over many many days your kidneys can get distressed and have stones.

But a lot of people routinely strive for 100+ daily (I do)

protein shakes ARE sliders....and protein bars were on my mushy phase of my progression, so must have been considered sliders too

What matters the most, in my book, is: IS it STOPPING your weight LOSS or making you GAIN? if this is not the case, why worry? 

I eat whatever I want and I weigh daily. I try to alter my diet based on my weight (less if the weight goes up) 

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Amy R.
on 5/15/11 12:21 am
Ah, responses from two of my favorite people - right off the bat! Can't ask for any more than that. Thanks guys!
JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 5/15/11 12:27 am
Why are you doing 200 gms of protein a day? I have heard for years on this site and others about kidney stones and gall stones from too much protein. Most posties that do 100+ gms per day are warned about getting stones. Most post ops need between 60-90 gms of protein daily and it's enough for us to maintain good muscle mass, lose weight and be able to function in our daily tasks. The more protein the more calories also. I'd be worried with that much protein how many calories per day I'm getting? Are you doing protein liquids only as per your doc's suggestion or are you eating foods also? A good balanced diet will keep us going, protein forward meals keep us full from one meal to the next and we seem to be healthier when we use moderation in everything - protein included. What are your doc's recommendations for protein intake daily? Your medical history can also determine your protein needs and your doc can help you with that.
Jen
Amy R.
on 5/15/11 4:26 am
I'm not doing that much per day.  Yesterday just happened to end up that much.

I'm not worried about the calories at this point. I have some medical issues and was instructed to get my protein up, WAY up, to at least 120 grams per day.  Yesterday was an anomaly, I've never had that much before.  I know sustained extra high protein can cause lots of problems.

Just wanted to know if anyone had thoughts about what might happen when you ended up with that much in one day kind of by accident, not on a regular basis. Not doing liquid proteins only as a general rule, but have strep throat and laryngitis and yesterday the shakes just tasted good and felt good on my throat.

Thanks for  your thoughts, Jen!   =)    Always good to hear from folks that are so far out, and I appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Most Active
Recent Topics