bleeding disorder and wls

shrinkinphatgirl
on 5/16/11 2:31 pm - WI
I have a bleeding disorder and I'm having surgery hopefully the first week in july just wondering if anyone else has had the same cir****tances as me. Some of the pills I take every month are huge and I have to take 12 of them every 6 hours and I don't think a pouch can even hold them.
rbb825
on 5/16/11 2:51 pm - Suffern, NY
You really need to discuss this with your hematologist and your surgeon.  It definitely can cause a problem, not only with the pills but with WLS we have a tendency to become anemic and that might worsen your problems.

What type of bleeding disorder is it?  Will having any type of surgery cause a problem for you with bleeding?  As far as the pills go, most surgeons don't let you swallow any pills for a month.  I have heard of some surgeons allowing it but I don't recommend it. Your staple line needs to heal and there is a lot of swelling and it needs to go down before you are putting pressure with pills, especially large ones.  I was able to swallow them at 1 month with no problem.  Find out from your pharmacist if they come in either liquid, disolvable, capsules that can be opened and put in applesauce or yogurt, or if they can be crushed.  If not, this could be  a problem.  I know when I tried to swallow things too soon, they just got stuck and I just had to force them back up which was a miserable experience and I dont' recommend.  My throat hurt for a few hours.

I wish you luck and please look into this before having your surgery.  See your hematologist and surgeon = and also have them talk to each other.

shrinkinphatgirl
on 5/16/11 10:44 pm - WI
They are in contact... it doees come in a liquid but I will have to take 2oz which will be hard every 6 hours besides the horrid taste lol. I have von willibrands type 2. I went yesterday to my homotologist to make a surgery plan. They will call my nexxt week with it after they get my blood test and talk again to my surgeon. My feritan level was really low (4) last month and they are trying to get it up.
Most Active
Recent Topics