Anxiety anyone??

cmcd1070
on 5/17/11 9:00 am - denver, CO
Yes, I did search the forums and read the older posts about anxiety and I have posted to them, but I don't think they are in the right category to get responses from people I'm trying to reach.

After my Gastric Bypass surgery in Feb (2011) I suddenly began seriously struggling with anxiety to the point that I am currently on medical leave from work because of it. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had a problem with anxiety or depression after surgery?

My theory is this: I've had anxiety all my life and my coping mechanism was food. Take that away, you leave the anxiety exposed with no coping mechanism to replace it.

I'm now under medical care for my anxiety, I'm on medication and seeing a couple of doctors this week to see what else we can do to help me cope or address this problem. I just wanted to see if anyone else has struggled with this and if so, what you did to move past it. Thank you!

nfarris79
on 5/17/11 9:09 am - Germantown, MD
 My personal experience with anxiety has been helped by stress management, deep breathing, and other relaxation techniques. On occasion, I've used some homeopathic meds (ignatia amara by Boiron, Calms Forte) and with severe panic attacks traditional meds. I still have insomnia and take Ambien for it, even post-op. 
Professionally, I always recommend therapy. (Cuz I'm a therapist?) If you feel that your last coping skill - food - has been taken away from you, it may help to find someone help you build up your skills. In the long term, therapy helps - not as immediately as meds, but you don't need refills for relaxation training.....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

ahmerzrealm
on 5/17/11 9:53 am - Naperville, IL
I have been bipolar all my adult life. So I know all to well how you feel and why you are in the boat that you are. You need figure out how to emotionally deal with food. You should see a psychologist and have them help figure out how to think right when it comes to food.

One book that my friends and I have found indispensable in redefining our relationship with food is

The Emotional First + Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery, Second Edition by Cynthia L. Alexander

Not surprisingly I found this book on the shelf of my psycholgists office !
cmcd1070
on 5/17/11 12:43 pm - denver, CO
Thank you, I will get that book!

LBinSC0712
on 5/17/11 10:10 am
I have the same issue as you, just not as extreme.  I have been on Zoloft for over a year tho so that may have helped me.  There are days when my anxiety is sky high I don't want to get out of bed or I cry in the bathroom at work.  I am up and down like a yo yo.  I know that it is from not having the food to soothe me anymore.  I now have to deal with whatever is eating (no pun intended) me.  It is the hardest part by far of this surgery.  I am currently looking for a counselor because I need an outlet.  There are not a lot of counselors who have experience with WLS patients.  I wish you luck and know that you are not alone in this. 

cmcd1070
on 5/17/11 12:45 pm - denver, CO
Thank you! I'm sorry you are suffereing with this too but it does help to hear that other people are dealing with this too. I wish you the best

mandajolyn
on 5/17/11 2:28 pm - Tallahassee, FL
I also notice my anxiety went up post op. We aren't able to use food as our drug anymore so we panic and don't know how to cope. My advise is to talk to someone, it's helped me so much. It's kept me away from turning to other things like alcohol to deal with life. Exercise, talking, journaling, or anything that helps you relieve stress and help you calm down. I use walking, writing, music, and have turned to friends to help me better cope with stress and anxiety. Pay attention to the things that trigger your anxiety and try to steer clear of anything that causes stress that you don't need. You're going through a lot after surgery and adjusting to the drastic changes can be crazy! Hang in there and keep posting about what you're going through cause you're not alone!
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

Most Active
Recent Topics