More and more I can't tolerate...

Kim26
on 5/17/11 12:54 pm
I am four weeks out and on the pureed diet for another week - I have followed the plan to a tee.

For the first two weeks I was doing great - cottage cheese, yogurt, tuna fish, protein shakes - all was well. I felt great!

The third week I started feeling a bit sick after having milk products, but it wasn't too bad.

By week four, milk products were REALLY making me sick - nauseous, bloated, feeling like I would die.  SO - I concluded that I had become lactose intolerant, bought some lactaid pills, and by taking two of them before a milk product AND an anti-nausea pill, I was able to feel at least OK.

Now, even the lactaid pills don't seem to do it for me, so I went and bought Lactaid milk tonight. I just drank half my protein shake (Unjury) and 5 minutes later the severe nausea kicked in and I'm heaving in the bathroom sink.

Two nights in a row now I have had episodes where I feel like I am going to croak - completely flush, hot but cold, nausea that could honestly bring me to my knees.  Last night I took an iron pill and a Zoloft (which I don't think I can take anymore because it makes me severely nauseous and causes an internal burning sensation - gotta call my regular Doc about that) and same reaction - so, so, so sick.  It just seems that more and more things are causing me to feel SICK - not just a tummy ache sick - but REALLY sick. It lasts anywhere from 10-60 minutes and then I feel totally fine!  

I would think at a month out I would start to have LESS of this kind of stuff, not more. I think I am going to call the surgeon's office tomorrow because I am at the point where I can't take my protein shakes. Maybe I should try another brand, but this Unjury has been the only one that I could tolerate.  Help?!
Jessica A.
on 5/17/11 1:01 pm - Auburn, AL
At about 4 weeks out, I became severly lactose intolerant too.  I felt pretty yucky for a few weeks during that phase.  I drank Lactaid milk once in a while but pretty much had to cut out dairy completely for a while.  I was luckily able to re-introduce dairy back in slowly after about a month or so from when the intolerance started.  Don't give up hope.  It might just be temporary.  It never hurts to check with your surgeon just to make sure everything is ok.  Good luck to you!  :)

Kim26
on 5/17/11 1:04 pm
Thank you, Jessica!  How did you get in your protein shakes? Were there ones that were lactose free and you mixed with water?

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons.? - Jim Rohn   
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
(deactivated member)
on 5/17/11 11:49 pm - TX
I am eleven weeks out and I can't do any milk either. For whatever reason yogurt sits fine but any type of milk mixed in my shakes makes me sick. So I just use water. Really cold water and sometimes a handful of ice. I don't notice a difference in the taste.
rbednarski
on 5/18/11 12:38 am
RNY on 04/23/10 with
The Iso-Pure low and no carb protein powders are lactose free.  I like the low-carb Dutch Chocolate. I;ve used it as my exclusive protein supplement ever since my surgery.

I liked the Isopure ready to drink protein drinks pre-op, but could not tolerate them post-op.

Highest ever: 390    Weight at 1st appt.: 365   Weight at surgery: 346

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/17/11 1:09 pm
Try Unsweetened Almond Milk or Soy Milk

Winnie

virvin
on 5/17/11 1:19 pm - CO
I'm going to try Isopure drinks this week.  I can let you know how they go or you can watch for my post.  The lady at GNC was very nice and she said that she finds that if she drinks them really cold, they don't taste too bad. 

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

wife2denizmoi
on 5/17/11 2:39 pm
The green Isopure is good! And she's right....have them really cold. Shake before drinking too.

-HeidiG (Wife2denizmoi) 

fickleme
on 5/17/11 9:41 pm - Bessemer City, NC
I use the Unjury Strawberry Sorbet with Crystal Light lemonade drink mix or Crystal Light Hungar Satisfaction strawberry and banana drink mix to get in my protein... I was not able to tolerate milk or even silk for a few weeks... I tried skim milk last night again and did okay... only a little nausea... nothing like before... so hopefully I will be able to tolerate milk again soon... Good luck to you and btw these drink ideas I suggested taste really good too :)
beatrice00
on 5/17/11 10:56 pm - NY
RNY on 04/10/12 with
You are definitely lactose intolerant, just like me. Switch to soy milk and no more cottage cheese or ricotta. I did not know the surgery made me intolerant and I suffered like you after eating cottage cheese and mixing my protein with milk. You'll be ok, hang in there.