Hopefully not too silly of a question (don't read while eating)

virvin
on 5/16/11 2:58 pm - CO
I have not had my surgery yet, so I'm using this forum to better understand what to expect.  It has really helped calm my nerves some.  Thank you to everyone who posts.

I am going to have the RNY bypass next month.  I read a lot about people getting sick.  That made me wonder...if we are not using your stomach any more...how do we get sick?  I mean, is it just the food that comes up?  What happens if you get the flu?  Does that mean that you won't really have the nausea/vomiting that usually comes with it? 

The other question I have is, if we are sick post-op, how do you stop it so you don't hurt yourself or the incision areas?

Sorry if this is gross or inappropriate...but it's been on my mind.  Thanks.
ceruleanme
on 5/16/11 5:22 pm - CA
 You will still have a stomach, just much smaller. Here's a pic- http://www.uwhealth.org/files/uwhealth/images/img/img_gastric_bypass_image.jpg

There WILL be nausea and vomitting. Sometimes from the flu, sometimes just cause. lol! 

You will, more than likely, going to have prescriptions for anti-nausea drugs post-op... but you heal fast, and complications are rare. 

bowlwidow
on 5/16/11 8:10 pm - IN
It would be nice if that were true, but unfortunately it is not.  We do get nausea and we do vomit.  Just stay the course to a healthier you.  Good luck

Christy

HW/SW/CW/GW
324/287125/130      

Wishmeluck123
on 5/16/11 9:32 pm
Do not worry. Not everyone get sick and pukes. At the beginning most likely you will be on protein shakes and liquids, which generally go down smooth.

If you do find yoursef getting sick, it will probably be because you did not chew your food well enough and it gets stuck and will usually find its way back up. If you eat foods that cause dumping, like sweets, sugar soda, cookies etc.....that will give you a horrible feeling and sort of make you NOT want to eat that stuff.  You can get nauseous, vomit, sweat, chills, feel like you are going to pass out.....SO if you avoid those items with high sugar you should be ok....

Eat small meals often.....to avoid extreme hunger, yes I find myself feeling hungry if many hrs have passed and I have not eaten.....When you eat too fast this can cause you to get sick....because you may not be chewing well or over eating because of the hunger. Slow down...eat slow....

I know it sounds like a lot and probably sounds quite scary. But you will be fine. Do not let this deter you.

As for getting the flu......you will still get ill like a person with a "regular" stomach. You may or may not throw up....but you can still get the flu. I had it this winter.....but not the stomach flu...just the chills, fever, aches....all that "fun" stuff. I survived and you will too! No doubt...

This will be very life changing, lots of adjustments. However, I have found this website so wonderful.

As for your incisions you will not hurt that area, it willjust be more sensitive in the event that you do throw up with liquids....If it gets extreme you need to see your doctor, to be certain you are ok.

No question is gross on here. We have all been there done that! Ask away....the only way we learn is to ask!

Peace & Blessings to you on your up coming surgery.....

Melissa~
virvin
on 5/16/11 11:32 pm - CO
Thank you, everyone!  That really helps!  I love this forum! 
Most Active
Recent Topics