Calcium question

kimtres
on 5/17/11 4:49 am - Doha, Qatar
 I'm currently taking Bariatric Fusion's Chewable Multi-vitamin, one tablet 4 times a day.  Each tablet has 300mg of calcium.  The ingredients list both calcium carbonate and calcium citrate.  

How do I know just how much calcium I am actually getting?  I know I need to supplement this and I just got Vitalady's tender calcium citrate but how much of that should I take?  Also, on her tender calcium, can I take the capsules or do I need to open them and mix it in with food?

Thanks!!!
Kim

princessfrogee
on 5/17/11 4:57 am - AL
I had a similar question last week regarding my calcium because it is listed as "Calium Citrate as Tricalcium Phosphate".  I just went on the website of the company and it was listed under their frequently asked questions as to the % of each and I adjusted accordingly.

If you cannot find it on their website, you could email the company and they should be more than willing to tell you.
kimtres
on 5/17/11 4:59 am - Doha, Qatar
 Thanks, heading there now!  Great idea!
Bootssie
on 5/17/11 5:00 am - CA
RNY on 12/17/10 with
I've been told you would need to take eight Bariatric Fusion a day to get all your multi requirements in, not four. They don't say how much calcium is carbonate so you really don't know how much calcium you are really getting. If I were taking BF (which I wouldn't), I would take the full amount of calcium citrate in a separate supplement. Are you also taking a separate iron? You probably should be. You can take the tender calcium whole. You don't need to open them.
kimtres
on 5/17/11 5:07 am - Doha, Qatar
 The Bariatric Fusion website has the following information:

Why are calcium carbonate and calcium citrate used?
Most supplements on the market today will choose to either use calcium carbonate or require patients to take additional tablets along with their multivitamin in order to offer calcium citrate. Bariatric Fusion®offers both forms of calcium in order to keep the tablet small, yet ensure better calcium absorption than any other bariatric multivitamin/mineral supplement.
The U.S. Food & Drug Administration has approved calcium carbonate as a safe and reliable source of calcium. Studies have shown that calcium absorption from calcium carbonate is best when taken with meals. After gastric bypass surgery, the small pouch produces less gastric acid than the stomach as a whole but still maintains an acidic pH2.
We recommend that Bariatric Fusion® be taken with food, unless otherwise directed by a healthcare provider, because of easier ingestion of calcium carbonate and better palatability when chewed3. TakingBariatric Fusion® at mealtimes will promote better calcium absorption in the post-gastric bypass stomach and help patients establish a regular routine that improves overall compliance.
_____

They are basically ignoring the calcium citrate in their information and focusing on the carbonate.  Looks like I'll be looking for a different multi-vitamin option.  :-/  Oh well, money wasted is less important than health wasted/ruined.  Glad to know I can take the tender calcium without having to open them up!

poet_kelly
on 5/17/11 6:26 am - OH
Calcium carbonate is safe and effective for most people.  It's not effective for RNY folks, though.  We make less stomach acid than normal people, so we can't absorb calcium carbonate.

And yes, we would need EIGHT pills to get all the multivitamins we need, not four.  We  need 200% of the RDA of stuff, and one Bariatric Fusion has only 25%.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views