WHAT IS C25K?

jillbhappy
on 5/19/11 4:46 am - Oceanside, CA
?
Jill
Surgery date 2/8/10
Start weight 264

Nothing Great Was Ever Achieved Without Enthusiasm!     
BeckE
on 5/19/11 4:48 am
My guess would be Couch to 5K!
Solon
on 5/19/11 5:15 am - Arkadelphia, AR
Jill it's a program used to take someone who doesn't run to someone able to run a 5k using a stepping stone system.  Gradually increase difficulty and length of runs / wee****il you're able to do it.

There are a ton great supporters about this program on youtube look up bandedwendy, thegerm1 or newtoy4kt on there for sure if you want more personal experiences on people who have done this. 
~ Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality.        
DeeNadj
on 5/19/11 5:20 am - Malmstrom AFB, MT
DeeNadj
on 5/19/11 5:22 am - Malmstrom AFB, MT

The best running program ever! If you have an iPod and get podcasts, look up "Podcasts for Running" by Robert Ullrey. They are free, and it's a 9wk program. You do the same workout three times a week, but by the time you're done, you are COMFORTABLY running a 5k, and you are ADDICTED to running.

Dee
RNY March 21, 2011!! I'm feeling great!!
Busy Mommy of 4, Proud USAF Wife, Quilter, and TRIATHLETE!!               
Paul C.
on 5/19/11 5:45 am - Cumming, GA
As others have said it is a program to take a non runner and build them up over time to a 5K distance.  It uses an interval based training guide which is Walk a period Run a period, as you progress through the program the run times increase and the walk times decrease until you are running the whole time.  The training is a 3 day a week program which is ideal for first time runners as this will help you avoid injury.  The biggest mistake people make is if they miss a day they will do 2 days back to back which at first may not be much of a problem but as you run more can pose problems if your body isn't conditioned for it.

You can download a number of apps that will tell you when to run and walk or you can even download c25K playlists so you can listen to music while you do it. I didn't use the C25K system but know a number of people who have had success with it.

A couple things to remember are:
 1) STICK TO THE PLAN!  no matter how good you may feel don't try and skip ahead of the program, it is ok to push yourself but you don't want to risk an injury.

2) Get fitted for running shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted.  Not foot locker or Sports Authority, but rather a specialty running store.  They will have a fitting process that will find the shoes best designed for your foot and running style.  They will usually have 5-6 different shoes that will be best for you and you just find that which is most comfortable.  I wouldn't base your choice on price over comfort as the wrong shoe can increase the chance of an injury  or your runs just not being enjoyable.

3) ENJOY IT!  if you aren't having fun you are doing something wrong (in my opinion).  Yes at first you may be uncomfortable or feel weird and awkward but you will get better and more comfortable as your progress.

4) Don't feel intimidated by the fact that you aren't a runner, or are larger than people at the running store.  Runners for the most part are some of the most awesome and encouraging people you will find.  Yes you will find a few douche bags in the mox but you will find many more people that are encouraging and supportive and happy to see someone joining the ranks.

Check out the Exercise and Fitness Forum and join in the daily workout threads to keep yourslf on track and you will find an awesome group of people who will encourage you and help you through the tough times and celebrate your victories.

Have fun with it!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Katari
on 5/19/11 6:37 am - OR
Yeah, What he said. LOL. Thanks for taking the time to write that up Paul. Great advice!
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

pamkb
on 5/19/11 7:46 am - Crestview, FL
great response, Paul!

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

jillbhappy
on 5/19/11 6:39 am - Oceanside, CA
Has anyone done this? I cant imagine even running to the end of my street. I walk3 or 4 days a week for 45 min or so now. Can i do this? I think I'm really asking myself this question. Tell me your story please
Jill
Surgery date 2/8/10
Start weight 264

Nothing Great Was Ever Achieved Without Enthusiasm!     
jenna F.
on 5/19/11 6:52 am
 I will do week 2 day 3 tomorrow. I have never been able to run, even after my bypass. Now that I am on a great supplement program and getting the right nutrition I am now loving this program